Hacking New Wii Hacking

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting a Wii but I really can't be sure that I'll be able to get one 4.3 or lower. All I have is Gamestop around and they wouldn't be willing to check the firmware for me. But I want to be able to hack it to run backups from a USB hard drive or something.

Update post here.

Questions.

Questions about answers.

Final question?

Thanks in advance.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Zesu-chan said:
I'm thinking about getting a Wii but I really can't be sure that I'll be able to get one 4.3 or lower. All I have is Gamestop around and they wouldn't be willing to check the firmware for me. But I want to be able to hack it to run backups from a USB hard drive or something.

I have a friend who does this and he said there's something you can do with SSBB to allow you to run any Wii games like that. What is he referring to?

Is there a way to softmod or hack a new Wii?
Yes
Using Smash Stack(NTSC U/J Indiana Pwns(U,E,J) or Yu-Gi-OWNED/Vah(U,E,J)

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porobu said:
Zesu-chan said:

I have a friend who does this and he said there's something you can do with SSBB to allow you to run any Wii games like that. What is he referring to?

Is there a way to softmod or hack a new Wii?
Yes
Using Smash Stack(NTSC U/J Indiana Pwns(U,E,J) or Yu-Gi-OWNED/Vah(U,E,J)
How does Smash Stack work? And what will I need? Also I heard that some newer versions of SSBB can't be exploited like that. Is this true?

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. But does it work on any United States version of SSBB or does it have to be an older release? I mean, can I buy a new copy of the game and be able to use it?

Also, what is the "root" of an SD card?

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
bannerbomb.

If you don´t know what the root of the SD card is, you might want to let someone else "mod" your Wii for you.

Otherwise, there is a perfectly good guide in this section. And AFAIK, there is no firmware higher than 4.3 atm.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This'd work on a red Wii too right? Because I'm thinking about getting a red one.
Some of these questions may sound dumb, but I only get one shot at this since I can't afford another console.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look into ModMii, it's a PC program that will give you step-by-step instructions on how to hack your Wii. I wish it was around way back when I modded my Wii.

inb4XFlak

Loop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zesu-chan said:
This'd work on a red Wii too right? Because I'm thinking about getting a red one.
Some of these questions may sound dumb, but I only get one shot at this since I can't afford another console.

I would avoid getting a red (or black) Wii, because you stand a much higher chance of getting one of the newer D3-2 drives which do not read DVD-Rs.
Personally I would pick up a second-hand, or reconditioned regular white one from GameStop or somewhere that'll give you some sort of warranty.

If you can find out the serial number of the Wii before you buy it you can get an idea of how likely it is that you'll get one of these new drives.
See this list.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hozu said:
Look into ModMii, it's a PC program that will give you step-by-step instructions on how to hack your Wii. I wish it was around way back when I modded my Wii.

inb4XFlak
ModMii is a cool program, sure, no offense to XFlak, but I recommend noobs to hack their Wiis by learning. Noobs still remain "dumb" after softmodding their Wii with modmii. If they learn why they are doing this and that, they gather knowledge and can contribute to the community by supporting other people with other problems etc .

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loop said:
Zesu-chan said:

I would avoid getting a red (or black) Wii, because you stand a much higher chance of getting one of the newer D3-2 drives which do not read DVD-Rs.
Personally I would pick up a second-hand, or reconditioned regular white one from GameStop or somewhere that'll give you some sort of warranty.

If you can find out the serial number of the Wii before you buy it you can get an idea of how likely it is that you'll get one of these new drives.
See this list.
What would I need DVD-Rs for? Isn't it possible to run homebrew, backups, and emulators just off a USB device?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Zesu-chan said:
Loop said:
Zesu-chan said:

See this list.
What would I need DVD-Rs for? Isn't it possible to run homebrew, backups, and emulators just off a USB device?
Yes, you can run backups and a lot of homebrew/emulators from a USB HDD, no actual need for DVD-R, though some people may prefer that. And there really isn't a chance you're going to get a non D3-2 drive Wii console now, they're present even in white Wii consoles, so no point in picking out the white one just for a chance, you'll probably end up with one.

As for hacking, currently all Wii consoles can be hacked with a certain exploit, so no worries on not being able to hack it. If you're lucky enough to score a 4.2 or lower Wii (unlikely), you can hack using the Bannerbomb exploit. If you're on 4.3 (very likely), you'll have to use either Super Smash Bros. Brawl, LEGO Indiana Jones, or Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers to hack it. Since you're in the States, just purchase a legitimate copy of Brawl (best quality title out of the three), and use the Smash Stack exploit to hack it. It'll work on all American Wii consoles, regardless of colour. Nintendo hasn't released an updated version of Brawl to patch Smash Stack, so you'll be safe. If you don't want to buy it, there's always rental services out there like Blockbuster or something... or just borrow from a friend. The Complete Softmod Guide is an extremely detailed guide to softmodding a Wii, and allows you to learn the basics and intermediate steps of soft-modding, so take the time to read it over and you'll learn about various things you can do on a softmodded Wii console, and how you achieve them.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed on the softmod guide it reads:

"Homebrew such as wad managers, cIOS installers, or backup loaders depend on the trucha bug being present, so this guide will walk you through the process of restoring this bug to your Wii's firmware."

Does this mean that I'll need to re-create this bug in order to run backups?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Zesu-chan said:
I noticed on the softmod guide it reads:

"Homebrew such as wad managers, cIOS installers, or backup loaders depend on the trucha bug being present, so this guide will walk you through the process of restoring this bug to your Wii's firmware."

Does this mean that I'll need to re-create this bug in order to run backups?
Restoring the Trucha Bug is what allows the Wii to use cIOS and install any 'unsupported' files onto the console, and is an important step in the soft-mod process. The Trucha Bug was removed a while back by Nintendo (3.4 System Menu update I think??), but programs have been developed to easily restore the Trucha Bug. Just follow the instructions, it's really clear on how you do that.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's what I've pieced together so far based off of the softmod guide,, the Smash Stack wiki page, and the Homebrew setup guide. This is exactly what I think I'm supposed to do, action-for action, based on these guides. I would have something about bannerbomb in here but the softmod guide only mentioned that program for 4.2 or lower. Nothing about bannerbomb on 4.3. So I assumed I don't need it on 4.3.

-Obtain Wii (will probably be 4.3).
-Obtain regular SD card and format to FAT32.
-Obtain Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
-Rename private folder to "privateold".
-Copy private Smash Stack folder to SD card.
-Put the boot.elf of the Hackmii installer in the SD card.
-Make sure all the custom stages in Super Smash Brothers Brawl are cleared out and deleted.
-Wait 24 hours for the custom stages to be permanently deleted.
-Do not go back online.
-Put the SD card in the Wii and Super Smash Brothers Brawl in the Wii.
-Turn on Wii. Go to SSBB's Vault and then Stage Builder, and it should automatically load the program.
-Select "Install Homebew Channel".
-Select "Install BootMii as IOS"
-Now Homebrew Channel and BootMii are installed.
-Hit "Home" on the WiiMote to get to the Homebrew Channel and Run BootMii from there.
-Plug in Gamecube controller to control BootMii.
-Go to BootMii and use the fourth option, then first button (with green on it) to backup NAND.
-Leave BootMii menu and unplug Gamecube controller.
-Put SD card in computer and copy NAND.bin there safely. Also copy keys.bin.
-Extract IOS236 folder into the apps folder on the SD card.
-Connect Wii online again.
-Launch Homebrew Channel and load IOS236 installer.
-Wait for a message to appear and press 1 to continue.
-It will say "Getting IOS36 revision 3351...", choose "Download IOS from NUS" if I'm online.
-Press A to start the installation.
-Press any button when the installation process is done to exit screen.

Am I missing anything at all in here? If so, please tell me what. If I'm doing anything out of order, please re-arrange it for me. I have read these guides as thoroughly as possible, so reading them any further will not clarify anything that I have wrong above.

All help appreciated.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You won't have a "private" folder on your SD card yet, and if you don't go online with Brawl you won't have any of those downloadable custom stages. Other than that it sounds right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1