New to the scene

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Noke, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Noke
    OP

Noke Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2014
    United States
    Selden, New York
    So i just recently purchased a brand new sealed 3DS 4.5 or lower firmware.
    I have done a lot of reading. I was wondering what i need to use Gateway.

Obviously I need a console on 4.5 or less
    Gateway DS card

Do i need an SD card or the factory one is fine?

ALSO: Micro SDS? How many and what GB, links to models would be awesome.

The rest i will read about setting up. Thanks!

2. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    You will probably want a different SD card since Super Smash Brothers requires one over 2 GB. 8 GB should be fine.
    You will need 1 microSD between 8-32 GB (depending on how many games you want on it at once) formatted to exFAT and you can just copy the roms straight to it.

I just use Sandisk Ultra class 10 cards and have had no issues. Can get them fairly cheap from Amazon, etc. Only brand I can recommend steering clear of is Kingston... this is only because I remember reading some anecdotal evidence about Gateway throwing a fit with them.

EDIT: Here is the exact MicroSD card I am using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH6JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Noke
    OP

Noke Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2014
    United States
    Selden, New York
    So you are using a 64GB, but you posted a 32GB as the max. Also the SD card, any in particular i should or should not use?

EDIT: Or did it just redirect me to 64GB?

4. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois

No sorry I do have the 64 GB but you can change the size by clicking the little GB buttons to the right of the image. 64 GB may be overkill if you don't want to spend that much. Just basically wanted to show you the brand. Doesn't really matter what size it just depends on what you are willing to spend and how many games you are going to have on it at once.

For regular SD, I would also suggest Sandisk ultra. I bought mine at Wal-Mart so I don't really have a link for ya. Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDSDUN-008G-G46-Newest-Version/dp/B00M55BS5O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

5. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    128 gb sandisk over here. I keep seeing people say that this is overkill and 'the whole 3DS game library would fit on it' but I've got like 112 games and its well over 75% full. So yeah, not sure about that claim.

6. KnightMario

KnightMario Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    It's overkill because nobody would buy $4,000 of games for their 3ds.

endoverend likes this.
  7. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    You should to have a 16GB or more main SD card for the 3DS, while the bigest you want to get for the gateway (must be micro).

8. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    People in the 3DS Hacking & Homebrew section buy games? Riiiiiiiiight.

Woodbin likes this.
  9. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I only bought half of my games, the rest where gifts.

10. KnightMario

KnightMario Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    I do, I'm saying that you said it wasn't overkill, but it is for anybody who would actually go out and get the games. Heck, I don't even think I would pirate half that many games.

11. shamzie

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    112 games, that's just ridiculous, I've got 24 and that annoys me. Anyway yeah 4GB or higher SD card and 8-32gb MicroSD and you'll be fine, I've got a 32gb one, everything works fine. Just format to exfat as already stated.

12. eggsample

eggsample punahussy

Mar 29, 2010
    Poland
    Some of us... and it's not hypocrisy. Classic mode in GW3DS menu is for Retail games.

@OP I'm using 2 mSD SanDisk UHS-I cards for faster EmuNAND boot and better inrom performance.

13. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    there simply aren't that many 3DS games worth playing IMO. 16gb or 32gb is fine.

the default SD on the XL (4gb) works okay, if you're using an original 3DS you'll want to upgrade the SD card. (since the emunand halves the SD card size)

has there been any tests done to prove it makes a difference?

14. eggsample

eggsample punahussy

Mar 29, 2010
    Poland
    For me, slow cards makes sometimes EmuNAND not boot or games wont run.