New to the Cyclo Scene

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Clockw0rk, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

New to the Cyclo Scene by Clockw0rk at 1:37 PM (864 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Clockw0rk
    OP

Newcomer Clockw0rk Newbie

United States
    I've been browsing about the forum, using search, so forth. It's helped me decide to use RHS for purchasing and give me -some- idea about save conversion. But some specific answers in one spot would really help me out.

I'm using an R4, which I've heard patches ROMs while CycloDSEvo runs them native; does this mean I have to reobtain my roms because the R4 has patched them?

Is there any 'best' solution for converting R4 saves into Cyclo Saves?

I decided to get a Ezflash V 3-in-1 slot 2 cart as well, as the Cyclo product details make it sound as if expansions can be used. Are there any tips or tricks to getting this working, or is it just plug and go?

I'm currently using a Kingston 2GB jpn card, which holds everything but one or two titles at the moment. Are there any SDHC cards with the kingston 2GB jpn speed advantage, or would I be taking a step back in speed for the sake of capacity if I upgraded?

Lastly, I've been doing drag and drop from windows to my card reader for rom management. Is there any 'ultimate solution' for rom management, or Cyclo management, that I should consider?

Thanks to anyone who spends the time to answer my questions. I'm totally willing to follow links and try new software, just point me in the right direction. [​IMG]

2. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can answer your first two quesetions as someone who recently made this same switch, you don't have to convert your ROMs or your saves, it can run all the files you had on your Micro SD for your R4, except now you can delete all of the R4 files.

3. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    cyclo patches like all others cards (not the acekard rpg, but it results in more problems than benefits...).
    you can use your old roms, you can use your old saves i guess (could use mine from the m3real).

for sdhc: go with a-data class 6, very fast card, no slowdowns in problematic games.

gdotcrow

4. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I'm using an R4, which I've heard patches ROMs while CycloDSEvo runs them native; does this mean I have to reobtain my roms because the R4 has patched them?
    The roms you are using now are fine. Don't confuse "patching on the fly" with altering the rom beforehand

Is there any 'best' solution for converting R4 saves into Cyclo Saves?
    No conversion necessary. The saves are exactly the same

I decided to get a Ezflash V 3-in-1 slot 2 cart as well, as the Cyclo product details make it sound as if expansions can be used. Are there any tips or tricks to getting this working, or is it just plug and go?
    Use Rudolph's Tool, now known as GBA Exploader. Latest release is in this thread.

I'm currently using a Kingston 2GB jpn card, which holds everything but one or two titles at the moment. Are there any SDHC cards with the kingston 2GB jpn speed advantage, or would I be taking a step back in speed for the sake of capacity if I upgraded?
    As stated above, the A-Data 4G Class 6 is a very good card for the price. Newegg has them pretty cheap.

Lastly, I've been doing drag and drop from windows to my card reader for rom management. Is there any 'ultimate solution' for rom management, or Cyclo management, that I should consider?
    Use TrolleyDave's R4 Commander v2.0 Thread Here Blog Here
    It's a great ROM manager that you can use just fine on the CycloDS. Just don't load the R4 firmware with it.