New to PSP hacking

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by john.jingle, Feb 9, 2010.

Feb 9, 2010

New to PSP hacking by john.jingle at 4:07 AM (944 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So CSOs are just compressed versions of the ISOs? Do they offer any other advantages other than size? Because I have a couple of CSOs on my Stick and they often play FMVs with very terrible stuttering, however the gameplay is just the same (except for the loading, omg it takes way too long, ISOs run faster). Are there any guidelines for choosing whether you should get a CSO or ISO version of a certain game?

2. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    The only up's to CSO's is the fact they take less space because you toke out all the unnecessary files out like the update partition part of the game etc. Some games do not work when they are in CSO(I'll name one when I remember) and some games are laggy when they are in CSO(GTA Vice City/Liberty City).

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Only differences is size and a decrease in speed (sometimes) for cso.

4. john.jingle
    OP

United States
    Why do CSOs run slower anywas? I though CSOs removed all the dummy data, therefore makes it easier for the memory stick to read all the important stuff...

Oh well.. Are most PSP isos 1.6GBs?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    CSOs are compressed ISOs not ISOs with extra bits taken out. The reason they take longer to load is that the PSP has to decompress the data first hence FMVs stick and loading takes longer. You can have an ISO with the dummy data taken out (it saves a hundred or so megabytes) but you have to be careful what you delete using UMDGen.
    If you want to convert your CSOs into ISOs load them into UMDGen and export as an ISO but they will take up more space.

7. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    PSP ISO Compresser v1.4 allows you to compress ISO's and uncompress them as well. Google for that one.

I don't do CSO's at all though, to be honest. I'd rather experience the game as smooth as possible, just buy more memory if you need it. 16gb are getting cheaper, and the photofast cr-5400 can get you upto 32 gb. Nice.

8. john.jingle
    OP

United States
    Ok, well I guess I'll just get isos for games larger than 1GB and CSOs for around under 500MB or something like that.

On another note, which is the best SNES emulator I should look for?
    I am using SNES9x Euphoria but I'm not really enjoying the emulator. Some games have bad framerates, bad sound and limited emulation configuration. Is there a better one? I tried to use SNES9xTYL but I don't know how to load it onto my PSP. There are two folders in the winrar, one for 1.0 and 1.5. My fw is 5.50G33 or something like that.