New to emulation on DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by kabuki man, Dec 24, 2009.

Dec 24, 2009

New to emulation on DS by kabuki man at 1:59 AM (1,094 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. kabuki man
    OP

Newcomer kabuki man Newbie

United States
    Hi i'm new to emulation on DS (not new to emulation though). I'm looking into getting a flash cart for my DSlite and there are so many I just can't figure out which one to get. I mainly want it to run newer games as well as NES and SNES games.

Another question i have is if i get a flash cart is that all I need? or do I need a memory card also? Basically i'm asking what is every item i need to buy to get my DS turned into an emulation machine (obviously for the older games its the games I own, just in portable form).

Posts merged

Also, is a 2 GB limit gonna be the highest I can go?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    You need the flash cart and a memory card (microSDHC).

For the flash cart, I recomend the CycloDS Evolution. It's amazingly simple, no DLDI patching needed, and I have yet to have a problem with it.
    As for the limit, no. 2 GB is not the highest. I have seen 16GB and some speak of a 32GB card.

Emulation info can be found in the DS emulation forums here.

3. kabuki man
    OP

United States
    So the GB limit doesn't involve the flash cart i'm guessing. Just any microSDHC(or whichever you said) will work?

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The GB limit depends on whether or not your device supports SDHC. The standard SD card limit is 2 GB, but SDHC bumps it up to 32 GB. Every card available nowadays (except for the original R4, which you should avoid) supports SDHC.

A slot-1 flash cart will gain you the ability to play DS roms natively on the device, plus you can emulate the NES, GB/C, Genesis, SNES to an extent, and several other systems. If you want GBA emulation, you must add a slot-2 expansion pack, as the DS is not powerful enough to emulate the GBA at any playable speed. Alternatively, the slot-1 iPlayer device (and the soon-to-come Supercard DS:TWO) have on-board hardware that is powerful enough for basic GBA emulation, though there are still some bugs to iron out in this regard.

5. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    BTW if you have a DSi CycloDS won't work(presumably they're still working it), if however you have DS lite this is probably the best cart you could use. Also it's compatible with microSD cards up to 32Gb(I would suggest you get a bundle with an 8Gb card), there just aren't any being sold yet [​IMG].

You should also get an EZ 3in1(you may have to change the battery at some point) so you can play GBA games, browse the web(and use other good homebrew), and have rumble.

I would personally say just get a Cyclo, you'll never have to worry too much about firmware or much of anything else, its got almost 100% Rom compatability, lots of features(though many are common at this point Cyclo has FAR better stability than other carts) +easy skinning.

6. kabuki man
    OP

United States
    Thanks to all of you guys for the help on getting me started. I ordered a CycloDS with a 4 gig card as well. I'm super excited and i'll be around here for a while to get tips from you guys. Thanks again for all your help.