Hacking New to 3DS, not modding

Yamez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a super quick jump off point, basically just getting into the scene here and seems very familiar to the wii process from years back. I recently acquired a 3DS with 11.0.0-33, but it boots the homebrew channel 1.1.1 when I hold the left trigger at startup. I realize we have different system architecture here with multiple NANDs and a few "entrypoints" (read:exploits?) but I am unsure as to what has already been done to the unit in my hands.

If I knew how identify what has happened here I would just go about my business searching and taking notes, but for now I have to be that guy and ask about it.

The only thing that seems blindingly apparent to me is that I should be using A9LH as my entrypoint, please correct me if I am mistaken or misguided.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a super quick jump off point, basically just getting into the scene here and seems very familiar to the wii process from years back. I recently acquired a 3DS with 11.0.0-33, but it boots the homebrew channel 1.1.1 when I hold the left trigger at startup. I realize we have different system architecture here with multiple NANDs and a few "entrypoints" (read:exploits?) but I am unsure as to what has already been done to the unit in my hands.

If I knew how identify what has happened here I would just go about my business searching and taking notes, but for now I have to be that guy and ask about it.

The only thing that seems blindingly apparent to me is that I should be using A9LH as my entrypoint, please correct me if I am mistaken or misguided.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Not entirely...
Rather you need to exploit the kernel first. and afraid on 11.0 there is minimal that you can do.

1. Hardmod. - https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/
2. Have someone else with a kernel haxed 3ds- https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade

Those are your choices.

Otherwise homebrew is all you will ever have.

Last edited by bbcali89, , Reason: clarifying.
Reactions: GalladeGuy

Yamez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks so much for the quick reply.

what would indicate that the kernel exploit has already performed, or any exploit for that matter? I saw homebrew channel and assumed it was done already, apparently a mistake on my behalf. I was under the impression that I was already running some sort of CFW.

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

what would indicate that the kernel exploit has already performed, or any exploit for that matter? I saw homebrew channel and assumed it was done already, apparently a mistake on my behalf. I was under the impression that I was already running some sort of CFW.
Do you have a title on your homemenu called FBI/TITLE manager etc?

If not, you probably don't have a way to launch cias,
And that's a easy indicator you're not hacked.

If you cannot run CIAS : Not kernel haxed.

Just homebrew menu via menu hax it looks like.

Last edited by bbcali89,

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You cannot perform a kernel exploit of any sort on 11.0, currently. Furthermore, the Homebrew Launcher is never truly "installed", you just perform your favorite exploit time and time again to enter it.

EDIT: And if you're just getting started with the homebrew scene on 11.0, there's no possible way you could be running a CFW.

Last edited by Logan Pockrus,

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot perform a kernel exploit of any sort on 11.0, currently. Furthermore, the Homebrew Launcher is never truly "installed", you just perform your favorite exploit time and time again to enter it.
It however is a possiblity someone gave him the system with arm9/emunand on it.
Unlikely. That's why I said try and see if you have FBI etc.

If not. Nope. Your options are in my first post lol

Yamez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I was reading, it seemed as though I might have already had CFW but still showed 11.0.0 as having been updated, however upon closer inspection there does not seem to be anything on my system other than the homebrew menu. I expected a stock system anyway, so no worries. I am an electronics engineer so hardmods dont intimidate me in the least. That said, difficulty aside, are there hardmod options that will serve me better than others? I am a true tinkerer, and creativity suits me just fine.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It however is a possiblity someone gave him the system with arm9/emunand on it.
Unlikely. That's why I said try and see if you have FBI etc.

If not. Nope. Your options are in my first post lol
Since he's on 11.0, A9LH is required to boot a CFW. No other possibilities, I'm afraid. One way to test if you have A9LH would be to remove your SD card and turn on your 3ds. If it boots up, you don't have A9LH. If it does, congratulations, you do.

But I doubt a previous owner wouldn't mention that they'd installed A9LH.

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I was reading, it seemed as though I might have already had CFW but still showed 11.0.0 as having been updated, however upon closer inspection there does not seem to be anything on my system other than the homebrew menu. I expected a stock system anyway, so no worries. I am an electronics engineer so hardmods dont intimidate me in the least. That said, difficulty aside, are there hardmod options that will serve me better than others? I am a true tinkerer, and creativity suits me just fine.
Just follow that tut. All you need to solder is four wires.
then some tidy work and done.

Yamez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VpJxHFW.jpg

opinions on this? is it worth my time?

Thee_BaBs

I do things, sometimes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the homebrew menu an app on your system menu? If so your system is already hacked

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
opinions on this? is it worth my time?

That was posted half as a joke on Reddit; it's a modification to allow your SD card to be removed without taking off the back. It is something people do actually want to do, but the joke part is using the word "hardmod" to refer to it. It technically is a hardware mod, but it isn't what is usually meant by a hardmod.

A hardmod in the relevant sense involves soldering wires. In order to fully hack a 3DS that is on firmware 11.0, you need to do one to dump the NAND and perform a particular exploit on it.

If all you get is the Homebrew Channel by pressing a key, someone probably put the new version of Menuhax on your 3DS. This does let you get the Homebrew Channel, but it isn't a full hack that lets you do everything.

Last edited by Jiro2,

Yamez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a few of you did not take note that im an electrical engineer. I fully grasp what is going on here, just trying to find the appropriate action for my situation, which is what i am here to clarify. That post on reddit appeared to be an emmc to micro sd soldering job to me, something I would do if I am going to hardmod. I wont solder and then take it apart again. shit i might even dev if i can find the time to break away from the android scene. I could see myself performing dumps frequently. so that photo looked attractive to me, thats all.

case modification, fiberglass and that sort of thing are daily activities for me

Last edited by Yamez,

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a few of you did not take note that im an electrical engineer. I fully grasp what is going on here, just trying to find the appropriate action for my situation, which is what i am here to clarify. That post on reddit appeared to be an emmc to micro sd soldering job to me, something I would do if I am going to hardmod.

The post on reddit you got that image from is https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4xtdgj/it_may_not_be_the_hardmod_were_all_familiar_with/ . It certainly is not a soldering job of any type; it's a hole cut in the back of the N3DS so that the slot for inserting the SD can be reached without opening it up.

The guide for hacking your 3DS is at https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki . If you follow the links from that, you will eventually get to the page about hardmods which is at https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/ . Start on the "Get Started" page (he recently changed this, and unfortunately it is not obvious.)

Last edited by Jiro2,

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Yamez Just chop the screws off, don't butcher the case. It's easy to pop on and off when the screws are gone and it stays in place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended