New System many questions.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by gettogaara, Feb 9, 2010.

Feb 9, 2010

New System many questions. by gettogaara at 2:16 AM (1,112 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. gettogaara
    OP

Member gettogaara GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well I just recently got myself a psp and it seems to be a 3001 Slim. I did'nt expect it would be so complicated to hack it since I suspected it would work something like an r4 does for a nds. Since getting this I have quite a few questions.
    1.Everyone knows about the pandora battery. I heard you can't use it on the 3001 because it does'nt let it turn on. Is this true?
    2.I just bought this thinking that to hack the psp you need to hook the psp's memory stick up to the computer but I'm not sure it'll work for what I want to do,will it?USB 2.0 Memory stick pro duo adapter
    3.I don't really feel the need to download games so much as rip umd games I own onto the psp so I don't have to carry all the disks around. Can someone give me a list of all of the things I actually need to do this?

I have more questions but I can't think of them right now. Thanks for the help guys(and please help) [​IMG]

2. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    1. Yes.
    2. You can hook your PSP up to your computer and read the memory stick from your PSP. All it takes is a simple USB cable.
    3. Not a single thing. Once you have CFW (partial, because the 3000 is not completely hackable, and you must have firmware 5.03 or lower, otherwise you can NOT hack it), you can rip the UMD to your computer by changing one simple setting in the new menu you get and plugging your PSP into your computer via USB.

More information (and how to hack, plus everything you need to hack) here.

3. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the quick response man it was a big help but the answers brought up more questions lol.
    1.Are the psp 3000 and 3001 more or less considered the same, in other words will the same things work on them?
    2.I just bought a memory stick pro usb adapter would that be able to do the same job as usb cable would? For the usb adapter you put the memory stick into it like you would for a r4 except bigger.
    3.When you say the 3000 is not completley hackable, what exactly do you mean?
    4.Im a total noob when it comes to psps so I went to the link for more information and I'm not sure which cfw pack to download.
    I'm guessing its "PHA PSP (A PSP 2000 with a TA088v3 motherboard or a PSP 3000" but it says
    The Full version has all you need if you have an official firmware below 5.03.
    The Lite version has all you need if you have official firmware 5.03.
    My psp says my software is 6.20 but I'm not sure if thats firmware or not. If its not how can I check the version of my firmware?

Once again thanks for the help.

4. Skyline969

Canada
    1. They're the exact same. 3000 and 3001 are just different regions of the PSP.
    2. It could do the same job as the cable and PSP combination, yes.
    3. By that, I mean the custom firmware requires you to "crash" your PSP into a HEN (Homebrew ENabled) environment and then load the loader for the CFW. This is totally safe, but if you ever shut off your PSP or lose power, you will have to go back into HEN and reload the CFW.
    4. Yes, your firmware is 6.20. Ergo, you are fucked. Sorry to say, but you cannot downgrade your firmware to 5.03, and you will have to wait until 6.20 firmware is hacked for CFW enabling or even HEN. Stick with 6.20 though, there is an exploit out there, but it's not released yet. Do not update your PSP's firmware any further!

5. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    1.Thats good to know
    2.Good,although I might get the cable as well.
    3.Oh.
    4.Well thats a bit dissapointing but hackers hack so fast they'll probably have a way around this in a few months. Btw I know this might be stupid but you know when u buy a psp game from the playstation store on your psp and it goes on your memory card? Is it possible to copy and paste that file onto a different memory stick or even just in a folder on your computer to back it up? Or do the game files bought or downloaded hidden when looking at the memory stick through the usb?

6. Skyline969

Canada
    Oh you can put it on your computer as a backup, but you can only play it on the PSP you downloaded it from... from what I know. Not sure, actually. I don't download from PSN.

7. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    That might be a way to get through the 6.20 firmware(well not really but it's something) Anyway man thanks for all the help on that but I got a few more questions(I know you must be hoping these will be the last lol)
    1.I've had the psp for a few days now and already I notice that fingerprints are attracted to it like crazy. This is on both the screen and the piano black psp itself. Is there anyway around this or at least a way to protect it from fingerprints? Certain items to get?
    2.Well since my psp can't really be hacked atm then besides playing games on it what would be some intresting things I could do with it?
    3.Why don't you download from psn?Is it cause of the CFW because I heard some CFW can take apps like psn off of your psp?

8. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States

9. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Oh that kinda sucks but I guess its not that bad since with the PSN I can download game demos for free. I guess I should get a screen protector and something to clean the screen with. You guys have answered so many of my questions I think I'm down to my last two.
    1.Psp 3000 full case housing I want to buy this but I'm not sure if it'll work with my psp 3001 or if it's easy enough for me to put together.
    2.I know psp's with 6.20 can't be hacked as of yet but can you download sav files from sites like gamefaq,put them onto your memory card and play from that point?

10. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    gamesaves work no mater what, as long as they are in the proper format (aka folder system) on your memory card.

I highly recommend with anything that you read about hacking/modding a system before you buy something. Because you could have easily bought a PSP 2001 and been set for life. The PSP 3000 really has no real "buy me right now!" power behind it, except for the screen and a few tidbits... not worth the hassle.

Wynd

11. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You're likely to run into all sorts of problems with gamesaves actually. Since lots of people played games on firmwares earlier than was initially intended, i'd expect that a few of those on Gamefaq's would register as corrupted if you tried them on 6.20.

12. Skyline969

Canada
    1. I wouldn't do that unless you are very good with your hands and are very good with documenting, as the PSP has some tricky components and it's really easy to screw up.
    2. Yeah, save files will work, but some might not as xist said. However, if you rename the folders the way they're meant to be renamed (I don't know fully how, as I start my games from scratch and don't cheat... *cough*) and place the files for the right region of the game (from what I know EUR saves will NOT work with a USA version of the game), you should be alright.

13. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    1.Danm I really wanted to turn it blue lol but I guess I'll have to wait until I find someone whos good with that kind of stuff. Maybe I can find a faceplate for the psp like a cell phone.
    2.Once I get the usb for the memory stick I ordered from ebay I'll probably try it with bleach heat the soul 6 since I'm buying it from chinatown over the spring break.
    Thanks for all the help everyone I have no more questions at the moment but when I do I'll post them here instead of making a new thread.