New SnemulDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Noke0, Oct 30, 2008.

Oct 30, 2008

New SnemulDS? by Noke0 at 7:39 PM (2,131 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Noke0
    OP

Newcomer Noke0 Member

United States
    Is there a newer version out, I hate all these graphic glitches.

2. Whizz

Member Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Netherlands
    Nope, there hasn't been a new version in months.

3. Noke0
    OP

Newcomer Noke0 Member

United States
    Is there another Snes emulator that works.

4. Whizz

Member Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Netherlands
    Snemul is the best, but there also is SnezziDS.

5. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The last version of SnemulDS was made in 2007. Archeid (the maker) went silent for a while. Even his site went down. But a few months ago, he restored his site and made an announcement that the emu wasn't dead but was temporarily on hold due to real life. But he hasn't said anything since June.

http://www.snemul.com/ds/

6. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

I have always been surprised by the state of the DS emulation scene. On the one hand Lordus completely blew my mind with JEnesisDS, the Sega Genesis emulator, which quite frankly should have been impossible. It's not perfect, but it runs far more software far faster than common sense dictates. The same goes out to NeoDS, which is also quite good given that it's similar to the Genesis.

At the same time NES/SNES emulation has been wishy-washy. The DS should be able to emulate the NES near-perfectly (not to Nestopia levels, but close enough) and the NES is well documented, yet it was abandoned before it was finished. And while the SNES is harder, the emulation possibilities are similar (except for the co-processors), yet again emulators are abandoned half-finished.

Now I'll addend this by saying I'm not nearly well-versed enough in ARM9 Assembly to write an emulator, so I'm inherently hypocritical, but this has always surprised me. The Nintendo emulator community popped out a NES emulator for the GBA (PocketNES) quite quickly and has continued to support it well after the GBA died, and even managed to hack in a respectable effort at a SNES emulator. I would have expected NES/SNES emulation to be a mad dash to the proverbial finish line given the popularity of the systems within the community, but that has not happened. The amount of regular homebrew on the DS is proof that development for the DS isn't particularly dreadful, so I'm not sure what's going on. Is it that people don't like running emulators on the DS? Do we have a brain-drain of developers heading for other platforms (such as the PSP)? Is Nintendo secretly kidnapping everyone writing an emulator and feeding them to Godzilla?

As I said before, it's all quite interesting, if not surprising.

7. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Maybe you answered your own question? I have no real answer, but a lot of good SNES games are seeing life again as DS remakes or in similar sequels. I would venture a guess that the impending release of Chrono Trigger has taken a lot of motivation and need away from an SNES emulator on the DS for a lot of people.

Though I'm surprised too - the DS homebrew scene is surprisingly big, and the NES seems like a no brainer.