New ROM Anti-Piracy Software

cephalopoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why I Pirate Games: A call to Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony

The fundamentals of capitalism are relatively easy to grasp. Business compete to offer a quality product at a price near or below their competitors. Those companies that can offer a quality product at a cheaper price thrive. This is how Big Box store have proliferated. What these companies do not understand, or maybe they forget, is that the law applies to consumers. As consumers we want the best products at the cheapest price we can find them. And while there ARE regulations against consumers (no shoplifting or downloading illegal or pirated things), these regulations are hard to enforce.

Unless you are Apple.

I hate iPods and I hate iTunes. However, one thing that Apple has realized that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have yet to realize is that if you change with the trends of the consumers rather than the trends of the business, you can profit. Apple realized that there are a few factors into why people pirate music. One reason is that it is cheap (or free). Secondly, it is convenient. Finally, it gives consumers more control over what they purchase. Apple realized that people pirated because consumers were tired of spending $17 on a CD for a few good songs. Furthermore, the consumers didn't have a way to listen before they bought.

Why hasn't the game industry realized this? They slowly have, yet Nintendo's new DSi doesn't account for any of the consumer trends. Why, for instance, didn't Nintendo include 8 GB of flash space in their units? If Nintendo (and Sony) were smart, they would control and distribute the ROMS to be used on SD cards.

Users download roms for the same reasons that people download music: it's cheap (free!), convenient (I don't need to sell my soul to Walmart), and we have control (We can demo a game, and we can put what we want on the SD cards). Right now, there are about 6 DS games that I enjoy playing regularly. Who likes lugging around 6 DS games? Who likes lugging around more than 3??? Who even likes turning off . . . ejecting . . . injecting . . . turning on. This might sound like laziness, but it isn't, it is convenient.

Furthermore, many find $30 per cart a little steep, especially for something that might suck or be short. 3rd parties AND Nintendo would benefit from selling roms at half that price (hell, they could afford to sell it even cheaper if they weren't greedy like the RIAA and Apple). If I could buy ROMS at $10-15 and get them directly from Nintendo or the DEV, so long as I had rights to that ROM, I'd would, and so would many.

fryguy

Trophies
XP
Country
adgloride said:
This is going back years ago. On the Amiga it was either Batman the movie or Robocop that was released with this protection (Maybe both). It required a dongle to be placed in the joystick port for the game to boot. This was meant to be unhackable. The hackers just changed the code so it skipped the part were it checked for the dongle and loaded the game. The code wasn't just put on to check for the dongle at the start of the game, it did it at random times.

Yep Robocop 3 on the Amiga had the dongle protection. IIRC Scala required a dongle too but was of course cracked.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know if anyone has looked at it yet ( not read entire thread )

http://metaforic.com/content/

Look here as well...

http://tinycartridge.com/post/107446999/ha...to-keep-ds-game ( Chat with Narin )

I am guessing the next gen flash cards will have a dedicated eprom chip where the game will be uploaded to from the memory card and will then run from the eprom chip without patching as it will the same as running it directly from a cart not from a memory card.. that should bypass the need for patching and would also ( possibly ) not be detectable from within game code.

In my opinion Nintendo should have stayed quiet about this. Its hard to crack or hack something when you don't know what you are looking for. They should have put the games on the shelf with the protection in it already and sat back and watched. Now hackers have a head start as they know where the protection comes from and what ( roughly ) to look for...

First mistake was to say what software was going to be used, second mistake is Metaforic has basically put their rep on the line by saying its basically unhackable, if this proves to be wrong, their software sales and peoples confidence in it will fall flatter than an MP in the UK expenses rows...

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Stupid question, cause I'm stupid.

Is this just currently being developed for European ROMs, or is it also being developed for American ROMs?

QUOTE said:
Unless you are Apple.

I hate iPods and I hate iTunes. However, one thing that Apple has realized that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have yet to realize is that if you change with the trends of the consumers rather than the trends of the business, you can profit. Apple realized that there are a few factors into why people pirate music. One reason is that it is cheap (or free). Secondly, it is convenient. Finally, it gives consumers more control over what they purchase. Apple realized that people pirated because consumers were tired of spending $17 on a CD for a few good songs. Furthermore, the consumers didn't have a way to listen before they bought.

I disagree with you, as of April 7th 2009, Apple changed focus. Possibly because of hard economic times, they increased a lot of popular music in price from .99 cents to 1.29, and the less valuable music, which is rare to find, is now available for .69 songs. The stuff people want in general is much more expensive now, and a ton of users, myself included are going to resort to less expensive ways to obtain their music.

But your point does spend true that we don't want to spend 30-40 bucks a game (DS) when we can get a 14 dollar flash cart from DealExtreme that plays the same games for free.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
lacrymosa967 said:
Stupid question, cause I'm stupid.

Is this just currently being developed for European ROMs, or is it also being developed for American ROMs?

Yes this is a stupid question. Read the article. Read this thread. BAM! Now you know as much about this as everyone else.

In other words, to answer youre question: No one knows yet.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
lacrymosa967,
I speculate all regions
smile.gif

Since Nintendo (one of the company that utilise this method) sells their game on all regions
smile.gif

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Nintendo: Stop fighting it, just lay back and accept the rape.

Nintendo's last atempt to stop pirates might be to make DS cards that selfdestruct upon uploading.
blink.gif
What regular ds owner would buy them then?

unsure.gif
To what extent will Nintendo go?

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Excellent... hopefully some sort of piracy war. I love a challenge!

I will fight teeth and nail to combat this anti-piracy protection, hack it, code it, write GUI's for it and what not.

Although, on the other hand...
Call me elitist, but it would be awesome if it would disable r4's (at least without some sort of advanced hack) and in general make it hard to play new games. To be honest all these flash cart noobs sicken me.

Bring piracy back to its more 'underground' roots, its just too easy to pirate on the DS.

But then again its more than likely a very easy to hack protection sceheme and it would be probably disabled within a day.

So Nintendo, make decent games and include useful extras with the retail games. For example, the cd-key method would be a good start if it was easy to implement

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Very cute indeed.
Thinking of the roms I would play at all, most of them will be published before December this year, and the one's that aren't are too common and too long awaited not to be cracked fast enough.
smile.gif

So I'm not afraid to miss something at all. ^^

They may save some time, but true hackers will always find a work around, it has always been that way and it won't change, because where there's a will there's a way in any case. Plus, there is ALWAYS a backdoor to be used...

I'm not saying that piracy is okay, because it isn't. And if I love a game I still buy it, no matter what, IF it is published in Europe, that is. Some of them aren't so I HAVE to use the Rom. And then, I don't want to carry a bunch of games around if I do not have to and a single cartridge is enough.

radorn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We'll have to see if these claims stand still in the end.
If the process for developpers to inject the anti-copy stuff in the game's rom is automated, then an automated reversal procedure can be done, even if it requires offline patching, but it may take a lot of time for someone to come up with it.
Anyway, I saw someone mention DLDI here. Just wanted to say that DLDI has nothing to do with the loading of commercial roms, since DLDI is meant for providing an universal hardware driver interface to to apropriatelly crafted lifbfat based homebrew. Commercial software cards don't use libfat since they don't have a FAT formated memory device in them, only a chunk of ROM memory and a save chip of varying type and size. Only homebrew software uses libfat or DLDI.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
radorn said:
We'll have to see if these claims stand still in the end.
If the process for developpers to inject the anti-copy stuff in the game's rom is automated, then an automated reversal procedure can be done.

Not totally true. If the injection uses a random element that is different for each game it is injected into ( which I believe is the chosen method according to the developers website ) then it may not be possible to reverse it by automatic methods, because there is nothing specific you can look for. The only way I can see this being hacked is if the code that is being executed to test for the checksums ( this is how it is done according to the developers website ) is hacked to always agree the checksum regardless of if it agrees or not. This is the only possible route ( given the information I have seen about the method used ) that a hacker can look to, in an effort to crack the protection. I have seen this sort of protection in the past and the only way then was to use the method above, you look for the consistent element rather than the random ones...... Until it is applied to a ROM and there is something to take apart all this speculation is academic anyway.

I still think the only way forward for cart manufacturers is to have the memory card used in the flash cart as a storage area and a re-writable chip in the cart that the software uploads the game code to then executes it. This way it wouldn't matter how the game was protected it would be running from a chip the same as a legit cart and wouldn't need patching ( a bit like the way some GBA flashcarts handled large games ). There is a way to check for this as well to see if it was a legit game but I will just keep that quiet for now.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think this will stop the R4 since there are no more updates for the R4 menu! (Yes I know, there's YSmenu but most n00b's don't know about it.)

Most likely all this will do is make n00b's give up on getting pokemonz.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Hedgehogofchaos said:
so if they can tell if a rom has been patched, will this affect even action replay codes?
ARDS Codes (at least with the original ARDS) are loaded into Memory (RAM), so I don't think AR will trigger the security.

Posts merged

QUOTE(somerandomguyO_O @ May 13 2009, 01:52 PM) If the attempts are as cheap as the DSi security, it wont take long to hack.
The DSi security only checks for completely valid headers. Once hackers found out how to replicate a perfectly valid header, the DSi flashcarts were released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY