(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
battle-kid-inline_1266958804.jpg

QUOTE said:
If you're looking for something new to play on your good old NES, you're in luck -- sort of. RetroZone has just released an all-new NES game cartridge called Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril. Unfortunately, it seems to have sold out immediately and is temporarily unavailable.

Developed by Sivak Games, Battle Kid is apparently the first platformer to be released for the NES in 15 years. The official game description reads as follows:

"After having uncovered a plot to build a Supermech, you head to an ancient high-tech fortress in an effort to prevent this weapon from being completed. You must navigate through the various sectors of the fortress, while battling its denizens and avoiding its many dangers. Along the way, you will uncover items that will allow progress to new locations of the fortress and grant you new abilities. Over 550 rooms, more than 30 enemy types, and 8 bosses stand between you and victory. Also featured are five difficulty settings and a password system."

From its official description, Battle Kid sounds a bit like Metroid.
While new NES games are sometimes produced by gutting existing cartridges and replacing the innards and outside art, Battle Kid's carts were made with new parts. "No donor carts were harmed in the making of this game," RetroZone says.

If Battle Kid becomes available again and you order yourself a copy, here is what you can expect to receive for $30:
- Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril cartridge with artwork
- A multi-region lockout chip for NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, Asian Systems
- Full-color manual
- One of those black dust sleeves NES games came with -- you remember

RetroZone says Battle Kid should work on authentic NES systems and clones like the NEX.

Source

Heh. Thought it was an interesting tidbit. A new NES dump, perhaps?

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty sweet, I just wish I still had my NES. If I ever do learn programming and design a sick game, I might try to port it to the NES too =D.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I would grab this...actually buy it, if there weren't a lockout chip.

Cmon guys, There is no reason for regional lockout. Especially for NES. And you're a homebrew developer for god sakes. get with it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
dudeonline said:

Cmon guys, There is no reason for regional lockout. Especially for NES. And you're a homebrew developer for god sakes. get with it.

Read my post please? The NES was made before we had TVs capable of both PAL and NTSC encoding, as a result slightly different versions of each game had to be made, resizing the game's screen and refresh rate to meet the standards in each region. There HAS to be a region-lockout chip to get through the NES's License Checker.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Jamstruth said:
dudeonline said:

Read my post please? The NES was made before we had TVs capable of both PAL and NTSC encoding, as a result slightly different versions of each game had to be made, resizing the game's screen and refresh rate to meet the standards in each region. There HAS to be a region-lockout chip to get through the NES's License Checker.

There are ways to circumvent the 10NES chip, and it was done in the NES's hayday...

Not to mention the 10NES chip didn't exist in the NES 2 (top loader)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
dudeonline said:
Awesome, but why a regional lockout chip?

Required to make it work with official NES as they have a lock-out chip to stop evil unlicensed carts (though this was easily circumvented back in the day)

The toploader is your best friend. My dad still has a toploading Nes and I still have a working Famicom in my closet (not sure where the FDS is and even if I find it, I can't play it since I lost the RAM cable a decade ago)

Anyways the graphics are excellent for NES standards but I don't know about the gameplay.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
dudeonline said:
Jamstruth said:
dudeonline said:

There are ways to circumvent the 10NES chip, and it was done in the NES's hayday...

Not to mention the 10NES chip didn't exist in the NES 2 (top loader)

PAL/NTSC Encoding is probably the main reason.

DemonicChocobo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you guys know, though the creator said he was inspired by various sources, but perhaps the one of most note is I WANNA BE THE GUY.

Yes. That I Wanna Be the Guy.

For those of you who do wanna try it, a demo of the rom(from the guy who made it himself) does exist. You can get it here.

I don't think this is against the rules, as it is just a demo and was put on the web by the creator, but if it is, I'll remove the link.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
omg awesome.
I was having an argument with this guy the other day.
He was saying all the old consoles and games are dead and I was saying otherwise
This will shut him up.

Guild McCommunist said:

I thought you was better than this Guild
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs