Hardware new microSD card formats & replacable batteries

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive just picked up at New 2DS XL and rather new to the scene.

1. Ive access to swap over the n2DSxl for a n3DSxl, would you recommend?
I hear some 3ds have IPS over TN. Also battery is slightly better apparently

2. seeing microSD cards not just with the normal Class 10, U3 stuff, but now A1, A2, V30 speed badges
Worth it? Depend if n3DSxl or n2DSxl?
Just grab 128gb? 256gb overkill unless going to upgrade to a Switch?

3. Anyone got links for bigger batteries?
Ive upgraded the WiiU gamepad, was definatly worth it

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

2. seeing microSD cards not just with the normal Class 10, U3 stuff, but now A1, A2, V30 speed badges

1. Dont matter. its your choice if ya want the 3d effects to usecwheb you want

2. The higher speeds dont mean shit for the 3ds. Ninty has not bothered to make use of them. Its capped as it is.

3. Thats a you choice. Unless ya want to pack the 3ds with tons of stuff. The size dont matter

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

U can't upgrade N2DSXL battery it's internal unlike other 3ds family systems and any card will do 3ds can't read any faster then class10 and 128GB is overkill 64GB is what u want and remember 300 title limit for that reason

DerpDerp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well im not aware of many 3ds titles anyway,
but when i was browsing ebay, did see someone post about same hardware, 128gb card with 70 3ds, 150 ds, then several 100 snes, gba etc.
I figure if im going to bother, everything, or atleast all the non shuvelware, is going on it.
And 128gb card are like £25 anyway, its nothing.
Only paid £47 for the n2DS xl ha!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
DS, SNES, GBA etc games are all tiny. Even on a 16GB card you could fit hundreds.

There's not really much point having a very large card. Most 3DS games are around 500MB, a decent number around 1GB and very few larger than that (Pokémon games notably). I used a 32GB card all the time I played the 3DS and never ran out of room. You can backup your saves and uninstall games you aren't playing at the moment to save space if needed.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
U can't upgrade N2DSXL battery it's internal unlike other 3ds family systems and any card will do 3ds can't read any faster then class10 and 128GB is overkill 64GB is what u want and remember 300 title limit for that reason
The bottom housing can be taken apart to get to the battery. The battery is replaceable and is like the 3DS XL in design not soldered to the board. You can technically replace it with a higher capacity battery, if you can find one available on the market.

As for the microSD, it is like Shadow#1 said, it doesn't mater what you get you will be limited to class 10 speeds. Depending on what type of games are installed, you can hit the 300 game limit on a 200GB microSD with 10-20GB of space left for saves and whatever else you decide to put on it.

ifixit video

@DerpDerp
You will have to look on the UK version of amazon, ebay, or battery vendor for a bigger battery. As long as it is a 1300mAh CTR-003 compatible battery. The 2DS XL uses a frame to hold the battery in place so the dimensions of the battery are fairly exact, any "bigger" battery would be thicker or slightly thicker. You should be able to find an aftermarket 2000mAh CTR-003 compatible battery. If you got no way of testing the battery capacity and recharge cycles, your likely pissing your money if you end up getting something subpar.

This one is in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Battery-Nintendo-3DS-Original-Devices/dp/B01JB7HUR8
If you look at the reviews, you will notice there are a few 3 starts and lower, the Quality Assurance is not great. Your not likely to find one and get one that meets your expectations.

Your likely going to have to look at ebay for an aftermarket battery.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I have a 32gb card and it's nowhere near big enough for everything I want to put on it!

Reading above, I was amazed that people are saying not to go over 64gb, because there are a TON of titles I want to put on my 3DS and if it's full at 32gb, I think 128 is about right.

BUT I don't know how to get it to work!
I read some guide somewhere but it didn't make sense because he was on about moving stuff from old folders and deleting the old folders... or something.

Is there a guide on gbatemp to format a 64 or 128gb card?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 32gb card and it's nowhere near big enough for everything I want to put on it!

Reading above, I was amazed that people are saying not to go over 64gb, because there are a TON of titles I want to put on my 3DS and if it's full at 32gb, I think 128 is about right.

BUT I don't know how to get it to work!
I read some guide somewhere but it didn't make sense because he was on about moving stuff from old folders and deleting the old folders... or something.

Is there a guide on gbatemp to format a 64 or 128gb card?
you just need a program like guiformat. You select the drive the sd card is at. And select FAT32 32kb clusters

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
As simple as that?

What was that stupid guide on about then, telling me to copy and delete old files?

I want to format the SD card and then copy everything from my 32gb card onto it. When it's formatted, do I just copy/paste or do I really need to find old SD card files or something and delete them to save space?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

do you have a link to guiformat? All I'm finding online are... dubious sites with exe files.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

SD card doesn't matter too much, but the SanDisk and Samsung A1 cards are so cheap anyway, I just buy those.
It's possible A1 performs a bit better on 3DS since they are supposed to have lower random access times and such. Raw speed doesn't matter, the 3DS can't take advantage of anything faster than 10MB/s anyway.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.