Gaming New memory stick really slow?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
2,810
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
273
Country
Brazil
Ugh, I just recently ( about 2 weeks ago ) got a SanDisk 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo and its taking a REALLY long time for the background of CSOs to show up on the XMB (like 10-15 seconds, ISOs take about a second or two). And when I transfer files (using my PSP) it starts out pretty fast @ 3.5MB/s, then goes to 4.33MB/s, and quickly drops to just under 2MB/s. T_T Did I format it wrong or something? BTW, its original, on my PSP under "MagicGate it says supported"
 

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
2,810
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
273
Country
Brazil
Dangy said:
Usually SanDisk's are a bit slower than the official Sony Pro Duo.

Its slower than my FAKE Sony. Theres no way.

QUOTEfake

I already said its not fake, on my PSP it says MagicGate supported, unless fakes somehow support MagicGate now? plus it was bought at staples.
 

Dangy

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
1,409
Trophies
0
XP
343
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
Dangy said:
Usually SanDisk's are a bit slower than the official Sony Pro Duo.

Its slower than my FAKE Sony. Theres no way.

QUOTEfake

I already said its not fake, on my PSP it says MagicGate supported, unless fakes somehow support MagicGate now? plus it was bought at staples.

Return it, try a new one. If it's still doing it, try and official Sony.
 

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
2,810
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
273
Country
Brazil
Dangy said:
ZeWarrior said:
Dangy said:
Usually SanDisk's are a bit slower than the official Sony Pro Duo.

Its slower than my FAKE Sony. Theres no way.

QUOTEfake

I already said its not fake, on my PSP it says MagicGate supported, unless fakes somehow support MagicGate now? plus it was bought at staples.

Return it, try a new one. If it's still doing it, try and official Sony.

Can't. It was bought in America, and I'm now in Brazil. Ugh. I'll see if I can do something like format it with a special cluster size or something?
 

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
2,338
Trophies
0
Age
35
Location
Outer Space
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
391
Country
Canada
I'd return it and get a MicroSDHC -> MSProDuo Adapter. I got the Photofast one that takes 2 MicroSD cards. Loaded it up with 2x 16GB Class 6 MicroSDHC cards and you've got a fast solution
smile.gif


Plus MicroSD is cheaper than MS Pro Duo anyways.
 

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
5,727
Trophies
0
Age
41
Location
British Columbia
XP
757
Country
Canada
Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duos are well known to be slow. The only Sandisk sticks worth a damn are the ones branded as 'Sandisk Ultra II'.
 

Dangy

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
1,409
Trophies
0
XP
343
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
Dangy said:
ZeWarrior said:
Dangy said:
Usually SanDisk's are a bit slower than the official Sony Pro Duo.

Its slower than my FAKE Sony. Theres no way.

QUOTEfake

I already said its not fake, on my PSP it says MagicGate supported, unless fakes somehow support MagicGate now? plus it was bought at staples.

Return it, try a new one. If it's still doing it, try and official Sony.

Can't. It was bought in America, and I'm now in Brazil. Ugh. I'll see if I can do something like format it with a special cluster size or something?

Yeah, raise the allocation size.
 

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
5,859
Trophies
0
XP
973
Country
Actually contrary to the above Sandisk sticks are faster than Sony ones, and are always recommended over Sony own brands. Ultra II sticks merely have an increased write speed too....

Run a Blackspeed or PSXReality speed test.
 

Shardnax

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2008
Messages
199
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
291
Country
United States
Thank you for pointing that out Xist :|. It's like the 'gaming' power supplies I've seen in Best Buy lately. Slap on a label and it makes it better. You should do what hankchill suggested if you want to save some money.
 

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
2,810
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
273
Country
Brazil
xist said:
Actually contrary to the above Sandisk sticks are faster than Sony ones, and are always recommended over Sony own brands. Ultra II sticks merely have an increased write speed too....

Run a Blackspeed or PSXReality speed test.

I'm running PSXReality right now, in a few minutes I'll post results.
 

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
5,859
Trophies
0
XP
973
Country
That explains your problem....an awful result.

Here's my 4Gb regular Sandisk

2ziq6vo.png
 

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
5,859
Trophies
0
XP
973
Country
From the looks of it you just got a bad one.

Ideally i'd say get a Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo to be sure, but if you want to be cost efficient then the Photofast CR-5400 is another alternative, with two DECENT memory cards inside it (although i've personally given up on the one i bought as my PSP's won't recognise it).
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Embrace the 12 polygons and lack of anti-aliasing! Learn to love the sub-DS graphics because it's the gAMePlAY tHat CoUNts
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Triangle snake
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It looks like those cheap vacuum formed Halloween masks, paper thin, with printed graphics instead of shapes.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    So Joe Biden? :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    wew lad I sure love not sleeping before going in ass-early for work
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Sleeping is for wimps.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Chew on some caffeine pills and raw-dog reality.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm a wimp
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Drugs are good for sleep
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I've heard
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Meth is also a good coffee replacement
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Speaking of which,
    I went to get evaluated for meth and now I'm waiting for the results.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I thought it was just Florida where
    you get spiked with meth
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Spike first, questions later.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    We can deal with it 50 years later
  • Veho @ Veho:
    How much time did he spend in prison for that? A week?
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Not to mention the steak meals and security he probably got
  • Flame @ Flame:
    hello fellow humans *beep* *boop**bop*
  • Freezer6 @ Freezer6:
    Hello Boty :)
  • Veho @ Veho:
    O hai.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ohio
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ohio the state known for Corn
  • Flame @ Flame:
    *beep* *boop**bop*
    Flame @ Flame: *beep* *boop**bop*