Hardware New laser and DL backups don't work.

harroxelas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi,

I got a curious problem which I'd like some help with.

My wii stopped reading every disc I had (which it read before without any problems). One day it was ok and the next It'd not read backups (wii and NGC, single or dual layer) or originals (wii and NGC, single layer). After a bit of research, I figured it should be the laser dying.

I swapped the laser and now it reads everything EXCEPT for dual layer backups (I don't have any original dual layer disc to test with). I tried loading the discs from the disc channel (hardmod) and from Neogamma (softmod). Through the disc channel the wii says "Unable to read disc" and from Neogamma I get error 1208.

The same games (Metroid: Other M, Metroid Prime Trilogy and SSBB) work through the usb hdd using cfg loader.

Anybody knows how I can fix this?

My specs:
sys menu 4.2U with d2ckey mod chip
bootmii as boot2 and priiloader v0.4
softmodded with all IOS and cIOS up to date (including 249 and 250 d2x)
USB HDD 500GB

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Some just don't like Dual layers mate, nothing you can do about it really, try different brands but with wiis there is no one size fits all.
No brand of dual layer media even verbatim or ritek, none of them produce consistent results with wiis. Done the same before myself, changed laser for a brand new one and SSBB won't work with known working copies used on other wii's.
Only real solution is play those games via usb.

After wasting enough money on 3 or 4 different brands of dual layers back in the day when I did a lot more modding I finally realised there isn't any consistency, some you just won't have luck with in the DL dept.

RavRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a similar problem. But for me, it works great on my Wii and not at all giving error 1208 on my buddy's wii with the same NeoGamma version and install. The only difference is that mine is 4.1U his is 4.3U

harroxelas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
RavRob said:
I have a similar problem. But for me, it works great on my Wii and not at all giving error 1208 on my buddy's wii with the same NeoGamma version and install. The only difference is that mine is 4.1U his is 4.3U

The same laser reads dl bakcups on your wii but doesn't work on your friend's wii? Damn, these wii lasers are very picky.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
RavRob said:
Is your buddies a new wii?
Sounds like a D3-2 drive error to me. Which is totally normal and expected as the drives don't read backups.

But regardless of that, as said above, it is picky on ALL wiis. Yours works, good, your mates doesn't, oh well. Some do, some don't. If it don't try changing the laser if you want to sort it that bad, if not live with it

RavRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well now here is something to ponder upon.

I had my Grand Daughters' Wii that I have loaded all my burned disk to their HDD for easy USB play via WiiFlow. So I know all the disks worked on that Wii....

Yesterday I updated it via ModMii, installed NeoGamma R9 and now all the disk that worked before no longer work.....Picky laser??? I don't think so. Something else makes these fail the read on back up disks.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
RavRob said:
Well now here is something to ponder upon.

I had my Grand Daughters' Wii that I have loaded all my burned disk to their HDD for easy USB play via WiiFlow. So I know all the disks worked on that Wii....

Yesterday I updated it via ModMii, installed NeoGamma R9 and now all the disk that worked before no longer work.....Picky laser??? I don't think so. Something else makes these fail the read on back up disks.
No, there is nothing else that makes it fail.

Could be picky laser, yes. There is nothing other than that it can be. Nintendo have not created any new anti piracy measures, everything is still the same. Its either bad luck and conicidental timing with the laser. Bear in mind, the longer a laser is left unused, the more likely its gonna have some dust settled on it making it harder to read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.