New language almost ready for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by slenkar, May 3, 2011.

1. slenkar
    OP

slenkar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2011
    United States
    Im porting an easy-to-use language for DS called Monkey

here is a screenie of my progress, (this is a physics engine demo someone else made)
    [​IMG]

Monkey compiles to other languages , (C++ for the NDS)

It will be slower than handwritten C++ because it uses a garbage collector

At the moment I am using the nitro engine for the 2D graphics (monkey has built-in input sound and graphics)

Unfortunately Monkey costs 120 dollars but this is cheap considering it compiles for all these platforms
    flash,desktop,canvas,android,iphone,Xbox 360

I am not making any money from monkey whatsoever, I am just a DS nerd who wants to make games.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Sooo... you port a language that ports into C++ and happens to cost 120 bucks when C/C++ is readily available to compile and there has been a real onslaught of nds libraries for every human need.

Uhm... the point is...?

3. slenkar
    OP

slenkar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2011
    United States
    some people consider C++ to be too complex, too intimidating or dont like memory management.

Its personal opinion, you may be comfortable with C++ , but others like to use scripting languages for their game logic.(including large game companies)

Monkey is as easy to use as a scripting language but doesnt sacrifice (much) power.

AND

if you make a game for DS you can compile it for other platforms instantaneously

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm not saying it's not an interesting package. What I'm saying is that it doesn't offer much for its price tag.