New HDD having sleep mode issues?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by KarlKarls, Nov 11, 2012.

Nov 11, 2012
  1. KarlKarls
    OP

Newcomer KarlKarls Newbie

My setup was working perfectly for quite a while, until I eventually sold my 1tb WD My Book Essentials usb 2.0 HDD.. I've recently purchased a new HDD, 1tb WD My Book Essentials dual usb 2.0/3.0. Now, some games will black screen me when loading a new zone or screen or whatever. The only difference with this HDD is that the cable is 2-in-1 2.0/3.0 usb. I was thinking it was a sleep mode issue, but I used the WD Smartware Software and changed the sleep timer from "15m" to "never", yet it will still black screen me after a bit of gameplay.. specifically, Skyward Sword. I haven't played too many games with this new HDD yet, but it seems after a while of inactivity.. (nothing new being loaded in the game) it's basically clockwork.. as I will play SMG2 for 1+hr without issue, Mario Kart, Rayman.. . No black screens. So I'm not sure what kind of issue this is. I'm still thinking it might be a sleep mode problem, and I can assume this will effect more games in the future. At the moment Skyward Sword is unplayable. Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

2. kbf

Member kbf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  3. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not sure if this is what the issue is, but as you said, you believe it be inactivity. The compatibility list has a link to WD Idle Remove Tool. It sounds like it is what you're looking for, and if not, it won't harm anything probably. It's on the WD site, so it's legitimate. You said you set the sleep timer to never, do you mean by using this tool? I don't and have never had a WD drive, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean. It sounds like the SmartWare you mentioned is different than this, as it is a stand-alone .exe for this sole function.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=305&sid=154&lang=en