Status
Not open for further replies.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So...with all the console news being blown out early and developers usually leaking or downright telling it DIRECT to the audience, I propose that E3 consists of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo bashing the shortcomings of the others.
(yes, nintendo...you can do it! Remember that sneer Iwata did by telling that the wiiu comes with a HDMI cable? Get some more of those snappy comments! :D ).

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So...with all the console news being blown out early and developers usually leaking or downright telling it DIRECT to the audience, I propose that E3 consists of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo bashing the shortcomings of the others.
(yes, nintendo...you can do it! Remember that sneer Iwata did by telling that the wiiu comes with a HDMI cable? Get some more of those snappy comments! :D ).
... and then one of the first things they say when announcing the PS4 is something like "the living room is no longer the center of gaming, the gamer is". At that point I'm thinking "hmm, that's subtle isn't it?"

Reactions: TripleSMoon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't these corporations realize that by not giving a name when they obviously have them already they damage the system?

I am not sure here. On the one hand a bit of dissonance (never mind the Wii<->revolution nonsense) probably wants to be avoided and having a name to focus on is potentially useful. On the other hand these companies spend millions cooking up the names, managing the names once they are out there and otherwise perpetuating things to the point that saying "oh yeah it is called the xbox 720" might not be the best idea; I will bet you good money that they dedicate a least a couple of minutes to playing with the name a bit, doing some general wordplay and some word association nonsense (the Wii U had a particularly good one- E3 2011 - Wii U announcement).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My hopes:

"When you pay for Xbox Live, you don't get ads in your face."
"You don't have to pay for Xbox Live for online gaming and using apps you're already paying for."
"You pay for Xbox Live and we'll give you free content"

What I think will happen:

"You need Xbox Live for everything. You need Kinect hooked up otherwise you can't use your console. Xbox Live costs 70 bucks a year. There are no added benefits."
"And we seem to be having technical difficulties with our console here, oh, and it just started a fire."
"And the now the fire is shooting lasers at your unborn babies and killing them.
"The fire is now shooting out gas that's turning ants into giant 100 foot tall Octopusses that's now terrorizing the entire planet."
"And I see we've all become slaves of the new gods of this earth"
"And here's a trailer for Halo 5. Thanks for coming!"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My hopes:
"When you pay for Xbox Live, you don't get ads in your face."

Now I take every pain to block every ad I can everywhere I can (to the point where I waste more time, bandwidth and effort doing it than I ever would have wasted on ads if I even paid attention to them) but I have never quite figured out why some consider it quite so distasteful to have ads on a paid service.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft is sending Invitations

qTDdqDF.png

The fact that it's on Spike TV shows that they are trying to buy their way to console sales by exposing whatever piece of junk they have to offer.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Now I take every pain to block every ad I can everywhere I can (to the point where I waste more time, bandwidth and effort doing it than I ever would have wasted on ads if I even paid attention to them) but I have never quite figured out why some consider it quite so distasteful to have ads on a paid service.
Well in some cases it's because the original premise was to pay to avoid ads. See cable TV back in the day and modern Android apps (paid apps don't give you "ads", they give you "rewards" which are ads in disguise) for examples.

In other cases it's generally because people don't like paying to see ads, since many companies split their ad-supported and subscription services.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Personally I think that the very idea of having to pay for Multiplayer in games I already bought, using online services which don't even belong to Microsoft such as Netflix or simply browsing the web is ludicrous in this day and age and Microsoft really needs to drop this. We're not in Dial-Up land anymore, these things should be free.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well in some cases it's because the original premise was to pay to avoid ads. See cable TV back in the day and modern Android apps (paid apps don't give you "ads", they give you "rewards" which are ads in disguise) for examples.

In other cases it's generally because people don't like paying to see ads, since many companies split their ad-supported and subscription services.

Too many years simultaneously ruined or altered by being around UK TV I guess then; free over the air has two channels (now many more) and most radio worth a damn without a single ad save for upcoming shows and on satellite/cable (no distinction worth making really*) you get ads even if you pay for some extra channels (indeed they are about the closest thing to American style ads too- I remember I first gave up on TV after I got Sky1 and saw the length of the ads compared to the terrestrial stuff that had them).

*my link of choice in these situations is about 2:30 although the whole show is good as the US TV setup is insane to most people that have not experienced such a thing elsewhere (which is to say basically nowhere else).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Well look at android apps. Stuff like Angry Birds for example (although I hate the fucking game, but I do sorta like the Star Wars one). Paying for the game, you get no ads. Not paying for the game, you get the full game, but ads which have been proven is a big cause of battery life going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back