CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
burning_phoneix said:
One of the good signs I saw on the box was that it had the official URL (ndstt.com) rather than an alternate one which is a good way to distinguish fake card in my experience.
Not necessary - it might still be a clone that can still use the official firmware - yet if you try the latest Fake-Killer firmware, then it's 'Game Over' for that card
You could always use the 'Fake-Killer disabled' version, found on GBATemp download, if you're still not 100% sure it's genuine

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some new fakes can actually withstand the fake-killer firmware. But you can tell if it's fake by either opening it up or by looking at the microSD holder. If it's fake, you may either return it or just run the fake-killer-disabled firmware on it.

-Bri

formicae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just received a new DSTT from DX (my fourth), and I can't really tell if it's fake. It's one of the newer right-hand-slot versions, the metal TF card holder edge is curved, but when I was moving the sticker (my most crooked one yet) I noticed the chip underneath was an ATMEL chip, not an Intel one. It checks out fine with the .NDS check file, but I don't know how much I trust that, since some fakes can apparently pass just fine.

Again, the chip in question is under the sticker, not inside -- the card itself is glued shut -- which in itself doesn't mean anything, a picture-perfect genuine card I got from DX was glued shut but I managed to open it. I just assumed that DX checks them and glues them since sometimes the two halves won't seat properly if you open them in a hurry. It's my first right-hand-slot cards, so I haven't got anything else to compare it to.

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying that there is a hole in the shell and the chip can be seen by removing the sticker without taking apart the shell?

If you can get it open, you can e-mail Team DSTT a picture of the insides and they'll tell you if it's real. But frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the fake-killer disabled firmware and you're set either way.

-Bri

formicae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
Are you saying that there is a hole in the shell and the chip can be seen by removing the sticker without taking apart the shell?
Correct.

I'm not very worried about it, mostly curious to find out if the clones have started sourcing curved-edge TF brackets. This one is glued together a lot better than the last one I had that was glued shut, so I'm not going to try to take it apart. Same goes for taking the sticker off again to snap a shot of that chip -- when I took the sticker off to straighten it out I could tell the adhesive wouldn't deal well with getting peeled off and replaced again.

I'm also using the official 1.17 firmware with no problems so far.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Although not related to fake DSTT - just found there's a new download on http://www.ndstt.com/new_download.html for DSTTi cards called 'TTiCheck.nds'

This, when run, indicates whether you have genuine DSTTi or a fake

I've tried it on my DSTTi & it passed

excl.gif
Please Note this is for TTi cards only
excl.gif

Hee Hee - just noticed this is my 100th post. Let's celebrate
toot.gif
grog.gif

burning_phoneix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I just bought a DSTTi and it looks legit (plastic case,curved SD card slot...ect.) but what's different in the casing of the DSTTi? Mine just has an "i" in a circle near the top of the packaging. (don't have my DS with me right now so I can't use TTicheck.nds

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
burning_phoneix said:
I just bought a DSTTi and it looks legit (plastic case,curved SD card slot...ect.) but what's different in the casing of the DSTTi? Mine just has an "i" in a circle near the top of the packaging. (don't have my DS with me right now so I can't use TTicheck.nds
I can tell you that my DSTTi is genuine (according to TTICheck.nds) & it came in a 'Tombstone' shaped plastic packaging with the 'i' in a circle up the top

This picture is from the DSTT webpage & you can see the differences between DSTTi (on the left) & a DSTT (on the right)
The 'I' exists & the wording 'DSTT for ....' is slightly different between the two - other than that the packaging is the same
p1.jpg

Acenima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does it make a difference what side of the dstt ur microsd slot is?

like my microsd is on the right and my friends is on the left. and both of ours is white. and from dealextreme

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some real DSTT's have the slot on the left and some real DSTT's have the slot on the right. In other words, the side of the slot is not an indication of whether the DSTT is fake or real.

-Bri

burning_phoneix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Bri said:
Some real DSTT's have the slot on the left and some real DSTT's have the slot on the right. In other words, the side of the slot is not an indication of whether the DSTT is fake or real.

-Bri

You'd think the NDSTT team would stop switching all this stuff around to avoid confusing their consumers.
unsure.gif

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thunderboyx said:
why do i get a picture of a microsd saying error?

Did it work at one time and then stop working, or is this the first time you've tried to use it? Do you get the "No Card" icon if you don't have the microSD card inserted? Do you get the "Menu?" icon if you insert a newly formatted empty microSD into the DSTT?

-Bri

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bri said:
Thunderboyx said:
why do i get a picture of a microsd saying error?
Did it work at one time and then stop working, or is this the first time you've tried to use it? Do you get the "No Card" icon if you don't have the microSD card inserted? Do you get the "Menu?" icon if you insert a newly formatted empty microSD into the DSTT?
-Bri
I found a video on Youtube seems to believe it may be your card is no good.

DSTT Error - You need to read the description

Done a bit of a search and found this thread
Have you tried the card without a memory card (You should get a blue 'No Card' error) & also with a memory card but no firmware installed (you should get a red 'Menu?' error)
Also try the bit of card' trick as well - it might be a contact problem

Just to try & make it a little clearer (I hope) I've done this picture:-
3697975217_a4c9213d63.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1