Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
>>>Originally, I thought that you could not put old drives in the new Wiis. This turned out to be false, something is just wrong with my drive. Sorry!

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The drive has an updated firmware.

Starlet(or another part of the I/O subsystem) checks against this and disables the drive if its not correct.

I guess Nintendo got a little smarter.... but you can always update the firmware on the older drives.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raganook said:
How would one go about updating DVD-ROM firmware?

Binary rip and then an overwrite.

Unless you're good at soldering... then you could just swap the firmware physically.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That it's not the drive's firmware?

Well, it's not cost effective for Nintendo to change out anything else.... so I can't think of what else it could be.

prinzhernan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not worried at all. There's no such thing as an un-mod-able system. If it's made by a human there's always a flaw and always a backdoor.
tongue.gif

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
That it's not the drive's firmware?

Well, it's not cost effective for Nintendo to change out anything else.... so I can't think of what else it could be.

No, Sorry.... I agree with you that it's different drive firmware.

But I'm questioning that you can't swap out another drive and it'll work. All the installers in the other thread claim older drives work fine in the newer wiis.

Both D2Pro and Wasabi groups claim to have cracked the new firmware (ie with NR mode disabled), so I wouldn't be too stressed about it.

Raganook

Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I *do* have an update on this actually...

My drive, as of removing it from my old Wii, simply does not play discs.

Trying to discover why now.

Edit: I'm attempting to google an answer, but does anyone know how a D2C mod chip could cause the Wii DVD drive to shut itself off suddenly? If anyone happens to know would be great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1