New computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by tijntje_7, Dec 10, 2010.

Dec 10, 2010

New computer by tijntje_7 at 5:03 PM (1,823 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. tijntje_7
    OP

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    'Lo there.
    I need a new computer.
    My pc is 8 years old. Has problems and is slow as hell.

I use my computer for games, League of Legends, Team Fortress, not too much... Warcraft III [​IMG] Also minecraft [​IMG]
    I'm sure I've got more games, but no more demanding games.
    I use it for fruity loops. A music making program. It just lags as f*ck on this current computer. I can't listen to whatever I'm making at that moment and editing it. I tried lots of different settings. But it turns out it's my pc anyway >.>
    Photoshop. Not too often, but just for simple editing. My pc can handle photoshop, never had actual slowdowns.
    Internet. Youtube, flash games (yeah, I know) gbatemp [​IMG], whatever on the internet. I want to be able to watch videos in high quality (720-1080p) on youtube without lag, wether I've got moar windows open or not. I know most newer pc's can handle this, but mine cannot ._.
    Not too much more really, I like it this way [​IMG] Might be going to game some more with a newer pc which can actually play team fortress 2 without lag :/

I got this set-up in mind.
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ, 500GB
    Sony Optiarc AD-7260S Zwart (zwart = black)
    AOpen H425D
    AMD Athlon II X3 445
    Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G

Coming at a total of around 310 euro's.

It's extremely low-budget, but that's because I cannot afford much more on my own. Though my parents might sponsor me for up to a maximum of around 125 euro's.
    This pc would be a huge step up from my current pc.
    My maximum budget would be around 435 euro's. Any suggestions? I also need some kind of way to connect to our wireless network.
    Btw, if you're going to suggest a new build. Try not to pick a gpu more expensive than 50 euro's. I'm not necessarily a gamer. And I don't use 3D programs...

The build up there has not been set-up by me. I got it from another forum around 2 months ago. I just replaced the 100 euro case with this cheaper case, and the 100 euro ram with the 40 euro ram.

I also feel as if this build is missing something [​IMG] Not sure what though :/

Edit: I got two monitors, I'd like it to have a dual-monitor set-up. I'll just disable the second screen while gaming if it's too much too handle.

Also, I don't need an operating system. I also got a keyboard, a mouse and really great speakers [​IMG]

2. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What website are you getting your prices from?

3. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    http://tweakers.net/gallery/387034#tab:wenslijst

Dutch site.
    Are the prices irrealistic? :/
    I got to take a look on the official retail prices...

Edit: checked prices via azerty.nl (which actually sells these parts, and it sums up to 320 euro's...)

4. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    You're missing a PSU. I'll change stuff up for you. 435 bucks eh? Must be doable.

Edit: added PSU, changed processor to a quad core. € 360,58 at Azerty.

5. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    Errr... You forgot to put a link or telling me what cpu and psu x]
    Could you please post those anyway? xD

6. Berthenk

Netherlands
  7. hullo8d

United States
    I'd push from the Athlon II x3 445 to the 450. You can also shave off a bit on the price your paying for your motherboard I'd suggest M4A88TD-V since it has a better value.

8. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    Lol @ berthenk. Your link tells me that you 'Berthenk heeft geen openbare wenslijsten' XD
    (Berthenk has no Public wishlist(s))
    You have officially lame me'd twice lol [​IMG]
    Thanks for trying to help though lol
    Hullo, I'll take a look in a sec [​IMG]

Lol, I think the motherboard might not fit in the case lol.
    Width 180mm
    Depth 375mm
    Height 360mm

Mobo = Afmetingen (=dimensions) (BxDxH = widthxdepthxheight)30.5 cm x 24.4 cm
    (hullo's Mobo)

9. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    It won't. The motherboard is ATX whereas the case/chasis is Micro ATX. Everything else looks fine though. You will need to get a mid-tower case, some come with PSU's aswell.
    EDIT: If you want to connect to your wireless network you are going to need a Wireless PCI card, here is a relatively cheap one that supports wireless b/g/n.

10. hullo8d

United States
    I overlooked the dimensions of your case and went by the dimensions of the board you picked.

M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 should fit in your case.

11. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    You sure?
    That Mobo is 24,4x24,4
    Case is 18x37,5
    That wont fit :/
    But whatever I'll take a look for another case.
    Okay nevermind that those are f*cking expensive...

At Down here, no I cannot.
    My pc has pentium 4
    2x 512MB ddr1 RAM
    The ram I picked is 4GB ddr3 for ~ 40 euro.
    Not worth it [​IMG]
    All I could take is the dvd drive. Which would save me around 20 euros. And 20 euros for a new one or nothing for an 8 year old is worth it IMO. Aka no, I cannot take anything from my old computer.

(well maybe, the case... But i don't know if that's a good idea)

12. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Can't you re use any parts of your old pc like the RAM for instance? That would mean you've got much more to spend on new parts.

13. hullo8d

United States
    If his computer is as old as he says it is the RAM is probably incompatible with any of the newer motherboards.

The tower you picked was made for a Micro ATX Motherboard so the M4A88TD-M should fit. It worst comes to worst you might need to make some slight modifications, but it shouldn't be anything too complicated.

14. Berthenk

Netherlands
    Fuck, I'm offically a failure now. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I included a be quiet! 300W PSU. The quadcore processor was an AMD Athlon II X4 630.

15. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Just mentioning, you can get ATX cases very cheaply, from £10 up. Assume €15 (because I cba to find out the current exchange rate). Sure, they'll be crappy cases, but you're not looking for a performance case with a hundred fans to keep it cool, just a functional case to keep the most basic of computers in.

Source: local Computer Fair.

16. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Just make upgrades to your current PC.
    It's cheaper and you'll learn alot.

17. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    ^ firegrey. Omg, xD
    I won't upgrade my current computer, because as far as I can upgrade it, it will have the same procesoor clocked at a maximum of 300 mhz higher. Gpu, can't be too much either.
    The computer is dieing, 8 years old, does not support newer parts. I honestly don't thinkt that'll work out too well :/

@Berthenk, that processor is nice [​IMG]
    Thanks I guess... [​IMG]
    @originality, I'll have one last look for a different case to fit in a different mobo. I hope I can find something nice...

I had another look at cases. I thought this one might be alright AOpen ES45F
    It also includes a psu.

But I still don't get what's up with the dimensions of a mobo, and a case.
    This case got Afmetingen(= dimensions) (widthxheightxdepth)18.5 cm x 42 cm x 41.2 cm
    The mobo got Afmetingen (widthxheightxdepth) 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm
    Afaik 30.5-18,5= 12...
    And that would mean that the mobo would be 12 cm outside the case :/
    Or are most newer cases and mobo's placed on the side of the case? If so, it would easily fit...
    But still, I don't get how that'll ever fit xD
    Please, explain...
    I don't want to get something that won't fit lol

18. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Wow and i thought my PC was hell.
    224MB RAM and 796MHz Processor.
    Anyway you could ask for some christmas donations from your parents for a new PC [​IMG]
    You don't need a very expensive computer, but with things that cost hundreds it's best to research for best deals.

19. tijntje_7
    OP

Netherlands
    ^ @ firegrey up there, I think you misunderstood me [​IMG]
    A newer processor would be clocked at a maximum of 300mhz MORE than my current cpu [​IMG]
    I got a pentium 4 @ 3.00GHz with hyperthreading.
    2x 512MB ddr1 RAM.
    It does still run most programs, but... mostly very slowly. Also, a lot of games don't work.. [​IMG]
    Also, it is dieing. It got a lot of problems. I definiately need a new one.
    Also also, I won't get anything for christmas. My mom will most likely pay a small bit of the pc, but not for christmas or anything peticular.
    And I'm sorry for your pc lol. I would give you my pc if you wouldn't live in Austria ;_; (and if my mom would't say no anyway to giving away anything at all xD)

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Speed (in Mhz) doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to. A 2.2Ghz Core i3 will do far better than a 3Ghz P4 in most cases. The architecture of the newer CPUs handle data much more efficiently than older CPUs.

Case in point: current-generation AMD vs Intel, say PhenomII X6 1100T vs Core i7-930. Whilst the AMD chip may be better in Cinebench at stock speeds, the Intel chip wipes the floor with it when overclocked, and either way in other tests - most notably gaming. Source: CustomPC. Intel chips are generally around 30% stronger than equivolently priced AMD chips.

Anyway, both of those will cost over €200 (I imagine 250ish) so it's purely academic. You just want a budget system with modern parts.