Hacking New Black Wii

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,228
  • Replies 23
D

Deleted User

OP
So if any of you recall a while back i posted that my Wii had be stolen.

WELL! One of my friends has generously decided to help me purchase a new one!! =D Specifically one of the new black ones.

However is it true that the black wii has a different disc drive and cannot read backups?

I guess that breaks the GC Backup loader then right seeing as only USB loaders work?

Thats a shame.......

GC USB loader anyone?
blush.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it will have a different disc drive...but even if it did, I don't see why it would make a difference? I'm not exactly an expert on the Wii scene, but iirc, all the drive does is send the data from the disc to the rest of the Wii, which is when the Anti-Piracy starts.

But again, don't quote me on that. [Sigh, I can see people quoting that in this topic just to be cheeky.]

But, as far as a GC USB loader...I feel like I can confidently say that there will not be one until long after the Wii is out of production - and that does take into account a longer console lifespan.

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
I'm not sure if it will have a different disc drive...but even if it did, I don't see why it would make a difference? I'm not exactly an expert on the Wii scene, but iirc, all the drive does is send the data from the disc to the rest of the Wii, which is when the Anti-Piracy starts.

But again, don't quote me on that. [Sigh, I can see people quoting that in this topic just to be cheeky.]

But, as far as a GC USB loader...I feel like I can confidently say that there will not be one until long after the Wii is out of production - and that does take into account a longer console lifespan.

yes the new drives wont read backups
shame on you for telling him he will be fine

guess that makes me cheeky

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Any new wii (white or black) will be packing a D3-2 drive, so no DVD-Video reads - and hence no softloaders will work. There aren't any mod chips for them either, but it is possible that they may come.

Disc checks happen in the DVD-ROM itself, but it is possible to swap it out for an older one if you are desperate.

If it were me, I'd just stick to USB loading, and forget about gamecube... if you really want to play GCN games, pick up an old cube for $20 or something.

D

Deleted User

OP
Is it just a matter of more hacking and cIOS shenanigans?

Or is the new drive completely untouchable?

D

Deleted User

OP
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I happen to have an IDE to USB adapter. Would that work if i used that in conjunction with a random DVD drive from a computer somewhere?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Buy a replacement DVD ARE better, buy an older motherboard and replace it, works fine
Plenty of online stores sell replacement motherboards that do read backups

The dvd reading capability was removed (hardware, the left out some chipsets) on the new motherboards, but threr identical for the rest to older dvd drives that can read backups

D

Deleted User

OP
tj_cool said:
Burton said:
I'm not sure about this but I think that with Uloader u can use an external dvd drive and use to read backups.
That's correct

But as it goes through USB, GC backups won't work.

I suppose GC backups are the only reason I would need an older drive.

Thats to bad.

Maybe i'll just get a white one and paint it black
tongue.gif

or does that void the warranty?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
naughtynazgul said:
tj_cool said:
Burton said:
I'm not sure about this but I think that with Uloader u can use an external dvd drive and use to read backups.
That's correct

Thats to bad.

tongue.gif

Newer Wiis have the exact same dvd drive. So you are out of luck

D

Deleted User

OP
linuxares said:
naughtynazgul said:
tj_cool said:
Burton said:
That's correct

Thats to bad.

tongue.gif

Newer Wiis have the exact same dvd drive. So you are out of luck

Wait, even the new white ones?!

Well that's unfortunate. I guess no GC games till the newest drive gets hacked then right?

Whats the newest drive called anyway? Just so i can keep track of it.

D

Deleted User

OP
Ok then. Thanks for all your help!
happy.gif

Can't wait to get a new black wii!

I guess i'll have to stick to Dolphin for gamecube stuff.

D

Deleted User

OP
Huh. I just remembered the Gamecube SD loader thing that emukikid made.

Maybe that will work?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
naughtynazgul said:
Huh. I just remembered the Gamecube SD loader thing that emukikid made.

Maybe that will work?
That will work, though you will need an SD Gecko. You can get one off of DealExtreme for $3. However, I haven't had much luck with it.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:

QUOTE FOR CHEEKYNESS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.