New 3DS (regular size) material and touchup

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Voltshock R, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Voltshock R
    OP

Voltshock R Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2014
    United States
    Heya,
    Kind of figure this title is sort of incorrect to what I wanted to ask, but not totally wrong.

Anyway, question relates to the New 3DS regular size.
    So the device has a matte finish and is made possibly of Nylon gf55 (http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xl/0/1), the same material as the 3DS XL's inner plastic.

Nylon Glass Fiber is a thermoplastic enhanced with glass for stability and durability, the number afterwards indicating the amount of glass reinforced in the construction.

However, around the top screen between the lens and cover/body and alongside the bottom, there is a slight space/opening with a glossy material/paint? Part of the edges placed to help further protect the LCD and purposely shiny to enhance the experience under light.

On this recorded breakdown of the device (), skip to 29 minutes in.
    Looking it over, the glossy black might be the black on the LCD.......

The New XL models have the lens and LCD directly interfacing.

To the point, part of the gloss black texture is missing or there is a scratch? and it is distracting.

Under 3000 Kelvins (lamp light), the area appears black and under 6500-7000 Kelvins (daylight), it is silver/shiny gray.

So just wondering if anyone who might have checked their regular New 3DS and noticed that space between the lens and case have a suggestion what might be put there to hide the loss/scratch I'm experiencing?

The marking does not appear to go underneath the lens.

I was thinking maybe some sort of paint or an adhesive or maybe a filler (small brush like 1/32" applying). Not sure what though, as rather avoid anything messing up the plastic further or adding a covering which may cause flanking or yellowing, etc.
    Would prefer the "filler" or "covering" would not require application in the future following completion.

I found the things best to avoid are super glue, rubber cement, urethane (can fog transparent plastics), and anything applying heat.
    Acrylics may work, but unsure about how to proceed with the clear coat.

I'd rather not turn toward Nintendo warranty repair (because bad experience although it is still under warranty).
    In the overall case, what is suggested.

Last edited by Voltshock R, Apr 24, 2017