Hardware New 3DS or New 3DS XL

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,617
  • Replies 15
D

Deleted User

OP
So I'm most likely getting a New 3DS for Christmas (or early next year if they're out of stock). I've been having trouble deciding between the standard and the XL models. The main issues for me are

-Pixel density
-Screen protector

The pixel density on the New 3DS is better and I don't like being able to just barely see the individual pixels on my (old) 3DS XL.

I can find Hori brand screen protectors for the New 3DS XL, but only unbranded ones for the New 3DS. Is it going to make any real difference?

The price is not a factor here.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
New 3DS for the faceplates.

there are official screen protectors at EB Games but they're in an accessories pack. (the Pokemon ORAS one, comes in either Groundon or Kyogre I believe)

So your only concern is the screen protectors? the screen of the New 3DS XL is the same size as the original 3DS XL so I can't imagine it being that different pixelation wise.

D

Deleted-355425

OP
i have 2 n3ds XL and just purchased the Hori screen protector for one as a test and its perfect on the top, slightly smaller on the bottom by a tiny amount all the way around, nothing that you can get a stylus between. will be buying more for my other XL's very easy to apply and no bubbles.

i went with the XL over the normal 3DS because im a great lover of bigger is better lol.

froatsnook

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imported an XL because I thought the regular-sized one looked like it might look/feel cheap. I wish I'd gotten to see them in person first!

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be getting an xl if I do upgrade mainly because it has bigger screens and is overall bigger.

I don't care about face plates especially since they don't even cover the whole thing for no reason. the pixel density isn't going to be great anyway. also I thought it was confirmed that the res is the same on all 3ds's so the pixel density on the n3ds woudld be worse than a normal 3ds.

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I got myself a cover plate enabled new 3DS. I think the smaller one is more pocketable as the XLs, and I used XLs exclusively since the DSi XL. The new 3DS is substantially larger than the old ones.

Also I adore the changeable cover plates! If you can, try one of the regular new 3DS, it'll surprise you.

boon11123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Love my NEW 3DS, the cover plate idea is fantastic...coming from an original 3DS XL the screen difference is very noticeable at first but use to the smaller screen now. Sadly no Amiibo support yet.

OL5plEP.jpg

dHIYtVZ.jpg

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
New 3DS XL is the inferior model, everything about the New 3DS just feels right.

It's like the iPad mini 2 and 3. addition of touch id.

in this case, 3DS xl to N3DS XL everything the N3DS has except interchanging plates (touch id)

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i have 2 n3ds XL and just purchased the Hori screen protector for one as a test and its perfect on the top, slightly smaller on the bottom by a tiny amount all the way around, nothing that you can get a stylus between. will be buying more for my other XL's very easy to apply and no bubbles.

i went with the XL over the normal 3DS because im a great lover of bigger is better lol.

d'aww.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3DS XL if you don't mind the extra weight and bigger size and if price is still not an issue buy a Hori XL screen protector imported from online (might wanna start looking and asking on this forum for good shops to import to Australia now since shipping will take time and you're planning on getting the New 3DS at Christmas).

sethirion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The resolution is the same. Meaning that there would be the same quantity of pixels (upper: 96E3px; lower: 76.8E3px) in a larger screen. Meaning that the original 3DS is better when talking about density. Comparing the New 3DS and the New 3DS XL then you would go for the New 3DS.
Screen protectors are better from a company that is reliable: HORI.

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started out with a dsi then I purchased a xl and pretty much just used the xl. Then I got a 3ds and when I bought the 3ds xl I ended up using just the xl. Now here we are with the new 3ds. I know from past experience I'd be a waste not to jump right to the xl.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly money is not an issue and the PSP's pixel density has been fine for gamers the last 6 years with the New 3DS XL's pixel density being ever so slightly higher but probably not noticeable to the human eye under normal gaming sessions plus New 3DS enhanced and exclusive titles will look a lot more detail than any PSP game so yeah go for the XL instead of going for the regular model then wanting to upgrade to an XL later on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol