Homebrew New 3ds installed luma and now having issues.

V7xd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a new 3ds xl and modded it with luma using the 3dshacksguide everything seemed fine and suddenly it started crashing. So I did the 3ds_hw_test and this was the results. I was told that it meant the system has bad ram. Is this true or could it be something else? I just bought this a week ago. i did a backup and have it on my computer.

Attachments

• 20230110_185323.jpg
    20230110_185323.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a new 3ds xl and modded it with luma using the 3dshacksguide everything seemed fine and suddenly it started crashing.
What kind of crashes? Is it Arm11 errors? Did it crash randomly or just in specific situations?
Have you checked your sd card with h2testw for errors? If not i highly recommend doing so before trying anything else..
So I did the 3ds_hw_test and this was the results. I was told that it meant the system has bad ram. Is this true or could it be something else? I just bought this a week ago. i did a backup and have it on my computer.
This software is quite old, can't tell you if it's any accurate.. In any case there are other things you could try, but only after you make sure the sdcard is not faulty.

V7xd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of crashes? Is it Arm11 errors? Did it crash randomly or just in specific situations?
Have you checked your sd card with h2testw for errors? If not i highly recommend doing so before trying anything else..

This software is quite old, can't tell you if it's any accurate.. In any case there are other things you could try, but only after you make sure the sdcard is not faulty.
I got a second better sd card and tested with it and got 0 errors. I would turn it on and it would bring up arm 9 errors. Svcbreak, translation errors, camera errors. It would be in sleep mode and freeze. I could run a game and it would give me errors but it was random and not recreatable.
Post automatically merged:

I am running macos so I can't.

V7xd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are running an Intel chip, you should be able to run a windows Virtual Machine in UTM, or you could run a live installation of Linux off of a disk? only if you are desperate, that is.
I have an Intel Mac. But currently I'm running a test with f3xswift.
Post automatically merged:

If you are running an Intel chip, you should be able to run a windows Virtual Machine in UTM, or you could run a live installation of Linux off of a disk? only if you are desperate, that is.
Sd was approved in f3xswift so it appears to be good.

Attachments

• 20230110_215328.jpg
    20230110_215328.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by V7xd,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@KleinesSinchen
There you go. Here is one of these consoles with failed FCRAM or cracked solder balls.
Well, shit.→ 💩
Re-balling? Repairing this is probably out of range for most people with "do-it-yourself"-methods. I couldn't remotely do it.

Never liked the idea of lead free solder for "environmental protection" RoHS. Especially at the beginning devices had reliability problems, and things like cracked solder balls still show up every now and then. Scrap electronics is a question of correct recycling anyway, with lead or lead-free, and stuff failing prematurely is anything but sustainable.

Replacing such chips is a pain in any case. In the end people will throw the devices away and even get the advise "Just get another one!" which effectively means "minus 1" for the number of units; console is out of production for years.

It would be important to know if the cause is really a bad RAM chip, or something different involved in accessing RAM.

Reactions: CoolMe

V7xd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, shit.→ 💩
Re-balling? Repairing this is probably out of range for most people with "do-it-yourself"-methods. I couldn't remotely do it.

Never liked the idea of lead free solder for "environmental protection" RoHS. Especially at the beginning devices had reliability problems, and things like cracked solder balls still show up every now and then. Scrap electronics is a question of correct recycling anyway, with lead or lead-free, and stuff failing prematurely is anything but sustainable.

Replacing such chips is a pain in any case. In the end people will throw the devices away and even get the advise "Just get another one!" which effectively means "minus 1" for the number of units; console is out of production for years.

It would be important to know if the cause is really a bad RAM chip, or something different involved in accessing RAM.
I ran the test again with a different sd and there was no errors.

Attachments

• 20230110_185323.jpg
    20230110_185323.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Try to bend/twist the 3DS a bit while it's testing or try at a different temperature. There is probably a cracked solder ball either under the RAM or SoC and it will give you intermittent failures depending on temperature/physical stress of the mainboard.

There is nothing you can do about this. A repair would cost close to if not more than the whole 3DS.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try to bend/twist the 3DS a bit while it's testing or try at a different temperature. There is probably a cracked solder ball either under the RAM or SoC and it will give you intermittent failures depending on temperature/physical stress of the mainboard.
My thoughts exactly.

There is nothing you can do about this. A repair would cost close to if not more than the whole 3DS.
That's what I meant above. If this occurs more often, we'll see 3DS motherboards being tossed away regularly 'cause it's not worthwhile trying to repair. Just get another one!

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts exactly.

That's what I meant above. If this occurs more often, we'll see 3DS motherboards being tossed away regularly 'cause it's not worthwhile trying to repair. Just get another one!
Honestly if the 3ds systems wherent such a pain in the ass to close back up after opening

I think a lot more people would be willing to try. Even 3rd party hobbyists like modvilleusa here.

But Nintendo pulled a move out of apples book and made things more difficult than it had to be

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly if the 3ds systems wherent such a pain in the ass to close back up after opening

I think a lot more people would be willing to try. Even 3rd party hobbyists like modvilleusa here.

But Nintendo pulled a move out of apples book and made things more difficult than it had to be
the one thing I don't like about the n3ds xl at least is that I'm afraid of breaking it when I open and close it. it just seems fragile.

Reactions: TheStonedModder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?