Hacking New 2DS XL Unable to Boot...

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
The New 3DS XL is unable to boot without an SD Card inside. I am currently on the latest 3DS firmware.

Device: New 2DS XL.
Firmware: 11.14.0-46 (latest)
Luma: 10.2.1 (latest)
B9S: 1.3

Previously I was able to circumvent this error by using the 3DS guide by using GodMode9, can I use the same method?

Thanks for any help rendered.

Attachments

• 20201124_232752.jpg
    20201124_232752.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 160

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try reflashing the system with an earlier nand build to see if it boots. all of your stuff looks to be up to date.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geez, there's no need to get crazy with reflashing!

You probably updated the version of Luma on your SD card, but the old version of Luma is still installed on your NAND. Just run the Luma updater and that should fix it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the easiest way I know of is just to reflash the nand from the firmware before. as long as the nand isn't super old, you can flash nand older than the previous update. you just need to go to godmode9/scripts/nand manager/then restore nand (safe). I've done it before and encountered no issues.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geez, there's no need to get crazy with reflashing!

You probably updated the version of Luma on your SD card, but the old version of Luma is still installed on your NAND. Just run the Luma updater and that should fix it.

actually, godmode9 has a function to transfer what's on the sd card to ctrnand, so there's no need to use the updater.

Reactions: defunct32

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore

Attachments

• 20201125_001417.jpg
    20201125_001417.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a godmode function to copy that over automatically from what I remember. it even copies of splash screens. I didn't notice that it was only without the sd card.

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
so the problem was a botched update?

I followed the suggestion by TurdPoo which is to follow the section VI of the guide he provided:

3DS Guide, Section VI.

Did via GodMode9.

Luma has been updated to the very latest version which is 10.2.1.

I am not sure if it matters but I was on 64GB card which has a "firm patch 1"error or something along that line whenever I booted up my New 2DS XL without any SD card inside. As per @TurdPooCharger suggest to patch it via GodMode9 it works.

A few days back I upgraded to 256 GB, formatted, checked, etc, all ok, so I transferred everything from 64 GB to 256 GB but didn't bother to check if booting up without my 256 GB will work until just now.

Last edited by defunct32,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure why that would've caused that problem. the ctrNAND is separate from the sd card, so how it got messed up, I dunno. did you update to luma 10.2.1 while using the 256GB card? that would explain it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a godmode function to copy that over automatically from what I remember. it even copies of splash screens. I didn't notice that it was only without the sd card.
Always start with the simple stuff when debugging 3DS issues.

If their 3DS means the life [a lot, almost everything] to that person, a SysNAND restore is like this.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, my issue was I didn't notice that it was without sd card only. I assumed that if he updated, both ctrNAND and sd card would've been updated together.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
luma 9.1 also runs on 11.14
There's really no reason to stay on 9.1 though. You don't have to use any of the options introduced in the latest builds. There's also very little introduced in the latest builds that weren't already in 9.1 but made more stable in the latest builds.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: defunct32 and fmkid

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
not sure why that would've caused that problem. the ctrNAND is separate from the sd card, so how it got messed up, I dunno. did you update to luma 10.2.1 while using the 256GB card? that would explain it.

I'm not exactly well-versed in 3DS CFW but that's all I did and nothing out of the ordinary besides changing from 64GB to 256GB so I thought it was worth mentioning regardless how insignificant it may be.

This New 2DS XL is pre-owned, bought it off online and it already came with CFW/LUMA 10.2, I didn't do much with it until a user on here mentioned to check if the device can be booted up without an SD card, if in the event the SD Card slot became damage or unable to read SD cards, then at the very least the New 2DS XL can be used/accessed without it.

Upon checking I was unable to boot up and it gave off a "firm patch 1" error. Did the same GodMode9 script and all's good.

Changed to 256GB was still on previous firmware running Luma 10.2, works fine until I updated the official firmware and that's when I updated Luma to 10.2.1, so it is:

1. Updated to official 3DS firmware via System Update (Wi-Fi). Cause I wanted to try the eShop and the only way is to update the firmware as I am aware Luma has also been updated to work with the new 3DS firmware.

2. After that I updated Luma to 10.2.1

Didn't bother to check without SD card if it will boot up until just now.

Last edited by defunct32,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol