Hardware New 2DS XL - is it worth it...

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I traded in my PS4 and games, was well worth it with the 60% bonus. I grabbed an Xbox One for my kids so I can actually play mine lol. I was left with about $230 in trade credit and I'm not sure what to buy.

I own a New 3DS XL and some Old 3DS XL systems so I'm covered all around with systems BUT I really like the design on the New 2DS XL and my question is to anyone who bought the bullet and got one - is it really worth it?

It seems slimmer and has better access to SD slot but is that really worth buying a new one? I'll obviously partake in CFW as I have on my current systems.

I don't have much else to spend it on, might just wait until holiday season and see what deals I can get.

Throw your recommendations and reviews at me tempers! Thanks!

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one only because it is lighter and easier on the hand. I couldn't careless about how reviews criticism its screen and battery.

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I traded in my PS4 and games, was well worth it with the 60% bonus. I grabbed an Xbox One for my kids so I can actually play mine lol. I was left with about $230 in trade credit and I'm not sure what to buy.

I own a New 3DS XL and some Old 3DS XL systems so I'm covered all around with systems BUT I really like the design on the New 2DS XL and my question is to anyone who bought the bullet and got one - is it really worth it?

It seems slimmer and has better access to SD slot but is that really worth buying a new one? I'll obviously partake in CFW as I have on my current systems.

I don't have much else to spend it on, might just wait until holiday season and see what deals I can get.

Dude, it is really worth it because of several reasons... The first is spaghetti, the second is that it is really light in weight and has really slick design with bright colours. And if you are like a person who accidentally falls it to the ground a lot of times, it has a shape which protects it from scratches so it is really great. I am really bad at reviewing things but I hope you like my information.. and no one even uses the 3D feature so you can sell your 3DS and buy this. Except for having 3D, it is overall the same as New 3DS with features like being amiibo compatible.

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dude, it is really worth it because of several reasons... The first is spaghetti, the second is that it is really light in weight and has really slick design with bright colours. And if you are like a person who accidentally falls it to the ground a lot of times, it has a shape which protects it from scratches so it is really great. I am really bad at reviewing things but I hope you like my information.. and no one even uses the 3D feature so you can sell your 3DS and buy this. Except for having 3D, it is overall the same as New 3DS with features like being amiibo compatible.
If you are gonna drop it frequently, the New 3DS XL is better because of the sturdier design and material. The 2DS XL won't survive many drops.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have played with all of the 3DS line for now. (Sold off 3 cheapy N2DS XLes locally, actually.)

My impressions:
- og 3DS --> well, it's decent. It's small size makes it crazy pocketable, and the cameras are great. Unfortunately two of my systems had issues with "sticky" trigger buttons. Bought mine at launch, hacked it via the emunand/RXtools thing, and I sold it a while ago. Another issue was the battery pack - very bad battery life, and I spent most of university using this one with the now discontinued Nyko Power Pak+.
- o3DS XL/n3DS XL --> the larger size, made it incredibly uncomfortable to use for me. Also, I couldn't easily toss this into my bag, and I needed to a case to carry it. The larger screens made some games much easier to play. (eg. Megaman Legacy Collection).
- n3DS --> originally bought this because Nintendo of America didn't want to bring over the smaller version (had the Happy Home Designer version, and urgh, not interested in those faceplates). Love the form factor and the ease of use. The need for a screwdriver to access the micro sd card didn't bother me, as I usually install one OR two cia versions of games. This is probably my most used system - because of the form factor.

**Some people have issues with the IPS/TN lottery, but tell you the truth, in all 4 years of installing custom firmware on these systems, I've only come across 4 dual IPS systems. One was a client with a dual IPS N3DS XL, 2 were bought used from friends (Super Mario Land 3D n3DS bundle), and the last one was my own pre-ordered Super Mario Land 3D n3DS bundle.**

- 2DS --> it feels chunky and like the old school "brick" of the game boy. Bought to use as a DSiWare mule, but haven't used it since. May gift it to a nephew soon.

n2DS XL:
- front facing camera location is WEIRD. I've scanned in so many QR codes and photos and the camera never seems to be where I imagine it to be!
- much lighter at 239 grams (with 3DS game/micro sd card in the slots). The other XL versions come in at 300+ grams. (Yes, I weighed all the systems I have, yes, I bake.) Might be good for long gaming sessions, as using the o3DS XL for long periods of time was just...hellish on the wrists.
- the dustcover for the game slot/micro sd card feels unneeded/unasked for. It's also STIFF as hell, although I imagine that it will get better with time.
- the "washboard" texture on the top cover slightly annoys me, as it seems to pick up all the DUST/crap in the world - might be reason to pick up a "crystal case" for this thing
- battery life is decent/on par with the n3DS XL
- the use of micro sd is welcome, as it is cheaper than your large capacity SD cards.
- it is EXPENSIVE, in comparison to an used n3DS XL here. EBGames/Gamestop asks $199.99 + taxes for one. Which works out to $225 here. Not including the larger micro SD card either! I can get an used n3DS XL for $200 only, and it does exactly the same thing for much less...

My opinion on the n2DS XL. This should have been what the original 2DS was. A big chunky unit with a folding screen for protection against damage. However, it is MUCH more expensive than an used n3DS (XL) as well. Nintendo should have lowered the price on these, as the 2DS was the "best value" of the lot - I can get an o2DS for $50 here.

Last edited by astrangeone,

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have played with all of the 3DS line for now. (Sold off 3 cheapy N2DS XLes locally, actually.)

My impressions:
- og 3DS --> well, it's decent. It's small size makes it crazy pocketable, and the cameras are great. Unfortunately two of my systems had issues with "sticky" trigger buttons. Bought mine at launch, hacked it via the emunand/RXtools thing, and I sold it a while ago. Another issue was the battery pack - very bad battery life, and I spent most of university using this one with the now discontinued Nyko Power Pak+.
- o3DS XL/n3DS XL --> the larger size, made it incredibly uncomfortable to use for me. Also, I couldn't easily toss this into my bag, and I needed to a case to carry it. The larger screens made some games much easier to play. (eg. Megaman Legacy Collection).
- n3DS --> originally bought this because Nintendo of America didn't want to bring over the smaller version (had the Happy Home Designer version, and urgh, not interested in those faceplates). Love the form factor and the ease of use. The need for a screwdriver to access the micro sd card didn't bother me, as I usually install one OR two cia versions of games. This is probably my most used system - because of the form factor.

**Some people have issues with the IPS/TN lottery, but tell you the truth, in all 4 years of installing custom firmware on these systems, I've only come across 4 dual IPS systems. One was a client with a dual IPS N3DS XL, 2 were bought used from friends (Super Mario Land 3D n3DS bundle), and the last one was my own pre-ordered Super Mario Land 3D n3DS bundle.**

- 2DS --> it feels chunky and like the old school "brick" of the game boy. Bought to use as a DSiWare mule, but haven't used it since. May gift it to a nephew soon.

n2DS XL:
- front facing camera location is WEIRD. I've scanned in so many QR codes and photos and the camera never seems to be where I imagine it to be!
- much lighter at 239 grams (with 3DS game/micro sd card in the slots). The other XL versions come in at 300+ grams. (Yes, I weighed all the systems I have, yes, I bake.) Might be good for long gaming sessions, as using the o3DS XL for long periods of time was just...hellish on the wrists.
- the dustcover for the game slot/micro sd card feels unneeded/unasked for. It's also STIFF as hell, although I imagine that it will get better with time.
- the "washboard" texture on the top cover slightly annoys me, as it seems to pick up all the DUST/crap in the world - might be reason to pick up a "crystal case" for this thing
- battery life is decent/on par with the n3DS XL
- the use of micro sd is welcome, as it is cheaper than your large capacity SD cards.
- it is EXPENSIVE, in comparison to an used n3DS XL here. EBGames/Gamestop asks $199.99 + taxes for one. Which works out to $225 here. Not including the larger micro SD card either! I can get an used n3DS XL for $200 only, and it does exactly the same thing for much less...

My opinion on the n2DS XL. This should have been what the original 2DS was. A big chunky unit with a folding screen for protection against damage. However, it is MUCH more expensive than an used n3DS (XL) as well. Nintendo should have lowered the price on these, as the 2DS was the "best value" of the lot - I can get an o2DS for $50 here.
Hey, this might seem like a stupid question but...is there any way I can convince my parents to buy this for me, it's not that they can't afford it, they just tell me to focus on studies..:unsure:

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, this might seem like a stupid question but...is there any way I can convince my parents to buy this for me, it's not that they can't afford it, they just tell me to focus on studies..:unsure:

Save money for it? It's not that expensive, and you can find local sellers for them cheap. $180 Canadian here. I've bought a couple of them for my nephews/nieces.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

inb4 it depends

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I LOVE NEW NINTENDO 2DS XL AND I WANT IT!!!!:cry:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess you gotta be grateful for what you already have....................................

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks everyone! i'm kinda leaning towards buying it and selling my current N3DSXL if I like it. If I don't like it I might return it. Definitely not trading in my N3DSXL though, they are only giving $70 for it lol.

Maybe $125 I'd consider but definitely not $70 trade in value. I'll still have some credit left over too after I buy it since it will be 149.99 with no tax :)

i guess that video posted recommends don't buy if you have a new 3ds xl already

Last edited by VashTS,

blockman765

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know if it is more powerful or not. Is it any better for hacking? I know that is a general question, but is there a way to hack it? And if it is, is the experience better?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?