Network printer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Kwartel, Aug 31, 2009.

Aug 31, 2009

Network printer by Kwartel at 6:31 PM (627 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Kwartel
    OP

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    Ok first of all, I'm über network noob, but I'm a fast learner with pc-/wii-/ds-/whatever- stuff. So please help me and teach me da stuff!
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the stuff, at home we have a desktop and a laptop. D is wired, L is wireless, but both on the same router. I've managed to get the L to print at the printer who is connected to the D! BUT when I shut down D everything have to been configured again, because that's the server [​IMG]. But we don't want to have the D on all the time, so now we use USB-sticks to transfer the "print to file stuff", works fine. Now I found this thing in a dusty drawer! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the Q)

Can I connect my printer to this with [usb-cable > this adaptor > network-cable > router] and print from both pc's when doing this?

________________________________________________________________________________

As I said earlier, I'm noob and correct me if I'm wrong!

2. Kwartel
    OP

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    really need to know

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Many modern printers feature network printing meaning you could connect the printer to the router and print via that (if you have the option of network or USB at the router side go with network).

I am going to need info on the printer (make and model) and the operating systems you are using and if possible the router as well.

As for your idea I would say not likely unless you have a premium printer; those devices use USB to make a network port and while some work (USB-ethernet is a defined part of the USB spec), also if your printer has a USB port on it then it is most likely a passthrough port/hub and not a straight up USB port the printer knows how to deal with beyond perhaps using a camera.

4. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Check the printer manual.
    The photograph you put up is actually a network adapter.
    You put the network cable in through the BIG part and connect the USB to the PC.
    It's useful if you don't have ethernet port on your PC.
    But the net is very slow through USB.

5. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The device you have pictured would not make your printer into a network printer.

If your printer doesnt have a network port already or is not wireless then you will need a Print Server, this has special software and drivers installed to make your printer work.

There are several types of Print Servers, but not all of them will work with all printers, and if it is an all-in-one printer/scanner then there are evel less Print Servers to choose from.

Prices range from £20 to £500 depending on how many printers and the quality of Print Server.