Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So, here's the deal:

I've recently got a new Netgear router. The old one fucked up for some reason, so we bought the same exact model (not my decision, as I wanted a Linksys).
Well, that old Netgear was working fine for months. Then one day, it suddenly quits out. Two laptops in my home, as well as my Mac that have Windows XP installed - get an error message.
It works fine on the Mac and Windows Vista eeePC, however.
They thought it was just the routers fault, so chucked that one away and got the same exact model. That new, yet same Netgear model still gives me the same error message with my Windows computers.
I continue to get a "Limited or No Connection" message every single time I try and connect. What's strange is that I get 4 out of 5 signal bars.
I've tried a lot of different methods of fixing it...such as: In CMD, typing 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew'; restarting router to factory settings, removing and adding my wireless receiver device...

I was thinking about doing a System Restore, but don't want to lose all my info that I've added in the past month.
unsure.gif

Please help me, I'm about to lose it!

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
That error is totally random.
Maybe it will be fixed by itself. lol.

I get that error when I try to connect to my router from my dads old IBM laptop.(even If I am 1cm next to the router, lol).

Try to reinstall, or use different USB connector(if you use wireless USB connector), otherwise unplug and plug in the wireless card.

I dont know, try it.

And yah, as Calafas said, try changing channel. Dont know if it helps, as I never changed the channel. I used 4 different Netgear routers uptill now, all worked straight away after installing, never changed channels, hehe.

Calafas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did The Wireless Reciever Your Using Come With A Specific Program Also To Connect? (Such As Linksys Does), If So, Check Your Using That, And Not Windows Zero Configuration.

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the problem is that it cannot grab an IP address.

i would check the windows firewall first. disable it. also, right click on "my network neighborhood", go to properties, and set up a new network connection, or disable/re-enable your existing one.

make sure you have your TPC/IP connection using DHCP and not a static address.

oh, and if this all doesn't work, you may need to try a new wireless card.

and by the way, next time buy a Linksys WRT54GL.

edit: i find windows xp built in wireless software to be better than the stuff that comes with the cards.

edit 2: zidane is right, make sure you have the correct (if any) security key. you may have an old one stored from the old router which is causing issues now. i would recommend going into your wireless settings (http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1), username and pw are probably admin:admin, or admin:*blank*. check under wireless security to see if any is enabled, and if it is, disable it until you get the issue worked out.

Calafas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
i find windows xp built in wireless software to be better than the stuff that comes with the cards.

Yeah, But Neither My Old Laptop Or My New Computer Would Connect Properly With Windows Zero Config, So Maybe Its Just a Linksys Thing?

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Calafas said:
QUOTE said:
i find windows xp built in wireless software to be better than the stuff that comes with the cards.

Yeah, But Neither My Old Laptop Or My New Computer Would Connect Properly With Windows Zero Config, So Maybe Its Just a Linksys Thing?

not sure. i swear by linksys, but that does not mean it's perfect. those little plastic boxes route a ton of data, so all of them have issues once in a while with getting jammed up or overloaded. i mostly stick with linksys because they allow you to flash the WRT54GL with some linux based software that lets you up the xmit power and get a better wireless signal. also, it works well with IPCop if you'd rather use an old computer to route your traffic much more effectively and just use the router as a wireless access point (which is what i do).

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with my Netgear also. I just got a replacement Netgear router and it does not setup properly.

I logged into the router and set WEP security so I can play with my DS as well as the Wii.

The Wii recognizes the connection but I can't connect to it. One last thing is that I cant use the internet on my computer while its broadcasting WIFI.
(probably Vista problem)

I will delete the connection and start over again, shit I might even try that USB connection as well as changing the channel.

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warren_303 said:
I'm having problems with my Netgear also. I just got a replacement Netgear router and it does not setup properly.

I logged into the router and set WEP security so I can play with my DS as well as the Wii.

The Wii recognizes the connection but I can't connect to it. One last thing is that I cant use the internet on my computer while its broadcasting WIFI.
(probably Vista problem)

I will delete the connection and start over again, shit I might even try that USB connection as well as changing the channel.

i would turn all wireless security OFF first and make sure you can connect. then if there's still an issue at least you know it's not just you typing in the key wrong.

and about the not being able to use the internet, that's definitely not right. maybe reset the router right back to factory settings and then try it again. or better yet, buy a linksys wrt54gl!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.