Misc Netflix from outside the US?

Relle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specifically Japan. I downloaded the Netflix channel today and got my console activated, but when I try to stream something, it tells me I can't watch from my region. Is there any way to spoof my Wii's IP or something?

Relle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm aware you can use a proxy server to get a US IP with a PC, but how do you do that with a Wii?

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a router that supports tor, or find a proxy site and configure your router to direct queries through it.

Relle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything in particular I need to do to get TOR working with my router and/or configure it to run through a proxy for the Wii? There doesn't seem to be an obvious option in my router settings, but I never tried configuring a proxy before.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yes, I use proxies to watch stuff from china but it's always too slow. I've tried loads of VPNs and other stuff but it's desperately slow. On megavideo i have to let the buffering go for like an hour before i can watch something...
I don't know if Japan is any different though.

tyrran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
yes, I use proxies to watch stuff from china but it's always too slow. I've tried loads of VPNs and other stuff but it's desperately slow. On megavideo i have to let the buffering go for like an hour before i can watch something...

Speaking as someone who did the song and dance with the Wii in Japan once, I can confirm a couple of things:

1. TOR simply isn't worth it. The anonymity you gain isn't outweighed by the disgustingly slow speeds.
2. Most other proxies work like a dream. I was able to use hotspot shield to watch Hulu (before it was patched) with barely any extra buffering. Last i checked, other streaming sites (tv.com and mtv.com) worked fantastically.

So if Relle can get a decent proxy going on his/her router (I only have experience with Airport, sorry I can't be more helpful) I think (s)he can get Netflix working no problem. I hope you sprang for the fiberoptic internet from NTT, that connection is the fastest I've ever tried, and really reasonable price-wise.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
tyrran said:
Costello said:

Speaking as someone who did the song and dance with the Wii in Japan once, I can confirm a couple of things:

1. TOR simply isn't worth it. The anonymity you gain isn't outweighed by the disgustingly slow speeds.
2. Most other proxies work like a dream. I was able to use hotspot shield to watch Hulu (before it was patched) with barely any extra buffering. Last i checked, other streaming sites (tv.com and mtv.com) worked fantastically.

So if Relle can get a decent proxy going on his/her router (I only have experience with Airport, sorry I can't be more helpful) I think (s)he can get Netflix working no problem. I hope you sprang for the fiberoptic internet from NTT, that connection is the fastest I've ever tried, and really reasonable price-wise.

Actually, TOR is worth it if you are using it right. TOR is designed for maximum anonymity for when you absolutely don't want to be tracked at all, which makes it much slower. TOR is for things like leaking documents to Wikileaks, not watching video.

Relle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tyrran said:
Costello said:

Well, I'll look around and see if there's a way of doing it on my particular router (it's a Planex model) and give it a try. I have tried Hulu before with hotspot shield, and it was pretty slow, but I can try Netflix and see if it's tolerable.

powernose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying Netflix out of USA. I have a paid Proxy with a dedicated IP. If I use the proxy with Internet Explorer I can stream Netflix pictures with no problem.

If I use the proxy with Firefox or with the Wii, then Netflix realizes I am out of USA. Why it works fine with Internet Explorer but does not work with the Wii or Firefox?

How can I solve this? I have a wire2 wireless router too. I am from USA but will be abroad for some time.

naruses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this may sound Stupid but, change your country to U.S., it works when you are on a not supported country for the Shop Channel, I read somewhere.

Relle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naruses said:
I know this may sound Stupid but, change your country to U.S., it works when you are on a not supported country for the Shop Channel, I read somewhere.

I can access the shop channel just fine, and my country is already set to the US, but Netflix detects a foreign IP. Needs a proxy somehow.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
works fine for me here in Canada!
yaywii.gif

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys I thought my origin reply would have been detailed enough, but lets put some of the misnomer here to rest.

How to trick XXXXX that uses Geo-location info (netflix, hulu, etc., etc.)
If the service you are connecting to filters connections based on your location, then the only sure fire way for it to work is to obtain an IP from inside its list of approved areas or at least make your connections final bounce from said IP. Changing your OS setting to US or Wii settings to US will not do it.

TOR - Onion Routing
You do not want to use this for high speed transfers, tor is generally a VERY slow service. Netflix requires a fast internet connection for the video to play decently.

How to connect my Wii to a proxy/vpn
As mentioned by other posters, the way to do this is with a router that supports using said options. This way all connections that go through the router, including the Wii, will be directed through the proxy or VPN. Just as with TOR, some proxies are very slow; you will have to experiment with different service providers to see what you get. Expect to pay out for a good proxy/vpn connection.

@Powernose:
Try changing your windows internet settings and putting the proxy info in there, this should force all your connections through it. Windows is a ubiquitous monstrosity that has multitude of settings squirreled away in less than intelligent ways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water