Netbook turns off on startup

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Mazor, Mar 15, 2011.

Mar 15, 2011

Netbook turns off on startup by Mazor at 4:27 PM (789 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Mazor
    OP

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    My NC10 keeps turning off when I start it. It turns off approximately one second after I start it, before the BIOS splash appears.

I'm assuming it might have to do with the power button, which at a glance seems troublesome to fix.

Anyone had similar experiences or know of other probable causes?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Did it fall or anything recently?

3. Mazor
    OP

Sweden
  4. Hatchetball

Member Hatchetball GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You're not giving much info.
    It could be 100's of things...
    Charge it or someone dropped it is about all someone could guess with that info :/

5. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    ... Well if you "never" dropped you're netbook, then just charge it, if that doesn't work, that means that your battery might be dead.

6. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Try removing the battery and turn it on with the power adaptor.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Instant power-off tends to indicate power failure (usually because of the battery, sometimes because of the power phasing). It could also be a problem with the CPU, but that's not so likely.

As above, try taking out the battery and running directly off the power cable. You could also try reseating the RAM and HDD. It rarely works, but I've seen it work sometimes for reasons beyond my effort to understand.

8. Mazor
    OP

Sweden
    What kind of info exactly were you expecting that was missing? Color of the case? Sure, I could have provided that I'm not pingas'd enough to only try starting with an uncharged battery but I don't see much else of interest I could have said. And as previously stated, no one dropped it.

I'd also love to see you name hundreds of possible causes for the symptoms I described, please do go ahead. I'll give you a medal if you can actually name one single probable cause for my symptoms that hasn't already been mentioned.

Thanks for the ideas, Originality. However, it turned out it's the power button as I thought. Removed it for now so that I can turn it on and will figure out some viable replacement later.

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I usually don't think of the power button if it's only one second. Most computers/laptops I've dealt with are set up for 5-8 seconds before turning off because of the power button.