Gaming Netbook-O's. FREE POLL INSIDE!

Buy a netbook now, or wait for the new nVidia ion thing?

• Wait, buy a ion equipped one later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy it now, ion's not going to be much better anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was like so close to buying one of these netbooks, this one specifically, so close in fact that I had listed all my DS stuff for sale on craigslist. Then I was bored so I was reading stuff and came across the nVidia ion a new processor/GPU combo designed for netbooks. Apparently it can play games, and I want the netbook for emulators, with a good FPS. Video below shows that it can play games like COD4 at reasonable settings and frame rates.

WHY WON'T THE VIDEO WORK????

As you can see it is jawsome. So here is my dilemma. Articles I have read say it should be available "2n'd quarter 09" and "would only add around $50 to the price of today's netbooks". Also they say "will allow netbooks to run windows Vista and 7."

I can go ahead and get the netbook I was about to get now, or wait and hopefully by summer one that I like will be out and cheap enough that I can get it.

REASONS TO WAIT​
- More time to save up $.
- I have a beefy desktop as it is and can play the emulators already.
- I don't "need" one.
- I should really a new find a job before buying expensive electronics.
- Chances are they are going to stick vista on it.
- I just want one because I think it's cool and I won't want one later.
- SSD drives will be cheaper by then so I can get a nice 32gig!
- Good things come to those who wait!

JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY ONE​
- The nVidia ion isn't going to be much better it's all marketing.
- Can play emulators on a TV for that authentic feeling!
- My DS is going to lose value fast when the DSi hit's the states.
- It will cost way more then an extra $50.
- Going to be at least a year from now before a decent netbook comes out that uses it.
- Because you want one, treat yourself in these times of hardship.
- I am never going to find a job and my parents will guilt me into selling my beefy computer to help pay bills or something.
- I could always sell it on e-bay to some uninformed individual for around the same that I paid for it if.

Ok now that you read the whole thing don't forget to vote!

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a beefy computer as you stated. Why wait? Game on the main desktop, carry the netbook around for taking notes, etc.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It isn't
Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEUPY6W1r8[/youtube]
It is
Code:
[youtube]iFEUPY6W1r8[/youtube]

You only use the part of the url after watch?v=

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an Asus N10, which has an Atom and a 9300M in it. To be quite honest, gaming just isn't meant to be... well for CPU intensive games like any Source based game or Guild Wars or WoW (from what I've read anyway, I don't play WoW). But other games like Call of Duty 4 run perfectly fine (provided you have the yitch3.cfg config file).

Better to save up for a real laptop.

epicelite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gman 101 said:
I have an Asus N10, which has an Atom and a 9300M in it. To be quite honest, gaming just isn't meant to be... well for CPU intensive games like any Source based game or Guild Wars or WoW (from what I've read anyway, I don't play WoW). But other games like Call of Duty 4 run perfectly fine (provided you have the yitch3.cfg config file).

I don't want a real laptop I want something small and adorable to play emulators on.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What do you want to emulate?
I can play anything up to N64 (including N64) on my eee 701. And the atom + intel GMA 950 netbooks should even perform better.

and Netbooks do run windows vista/7...just look at the eee 1000h it's running full vista with all drivers

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm on an Acer Aspire One 120gb HDD 1gb RAM. I play WoW on this every day. it's perfect for stepmania in the train, photoshopping, java programming, and anything. It's just smaller. No, it won't play GTA, but it plays a lot still. I'm never getting a big computer again!

I'm useing WinXP with Service Pack 3. It runs p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y. Vista does too, but it sucks either way.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what this topic is about, I just read the last post.

Project64 & ePSXe work perfectly btw.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
It depends on what you want to emulate really, I have a couple of netbooks, an ASUS and an Acer One and both can emulate fine up to Snes, anything more then that (like GBA) dont get your hopes up. Dont expect to emulate N64 or PSX on them though lol

edit: Project64 & ePSXe work up to a point, certain games dont have it for me, like Zelda and such

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With any electronics, you'll always get more for your money if you wait. But then again, you could wait forever, as it always gets better.

I bought an EEEPC 901XP a few months ago, and aside from the fan issue (which Asus just RMAd me a brand new one) I love it. I wish the primary SSD was a bit bigger as I have to constantly clean it up, but other than that, great stuff, I have a desktop for all my video editing and videogame playing, and this is great when I'm out and about (or watching TV, I guess I HAVE to be multitasking)

It sounds like you already have a decent rig, so go buy a netbook. But if you are serious about gaming on the go, that's still not going to cut the cheddar, you're going to have to look at something like those Alienware ones that weight 15lbs and have 1 hr of a charge because they are higher spec'd than many gaming desktops.

epicelite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not like I want to play CRYSIS on the go, I just want to play PS1/N64 and PC games made before 2002!

EDIT:

Might as well buy one now...

fuuu.png

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
epicelite said:
Gman 101 said:

I don't want a real laptop I want something small and adorable to play emulators on.

OH NOES A REAL LAPTOP. This is between laptop and netbook. It's pointless classifying them 'cos all that matters is the spec and battery life. After all, this is only slightly larger than the Asus 1000H, but has a graphics card. GRAPHICS CARD! Can't you smell the win coming from it?

EDIT: Oh, and don't bother waiting for the Ion, Intel just smashed Nvidia's dreams of joining the 9400 and the Atom. They now make it mandatory for an Atom to go with the 945GM chipset, which is full of sh*t.
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=c...88&Itemid=1

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
It depends on what you want to emulate really, I have a couple of netbooks, an ASUS and an Acer One and both can emulate fine up to Snes, anything more then that (like GBA) dont get your hopes up. Dont expect to emulate N64 or PSX on them though lol
I emulated GBA on my 701 with a 630mhz celeron and intel 915 graphics perfectly, and I get around 30 frames per second on n64 emulators running at 900mhz, zelda running at about 20 fps

Anyway, I put in a vote for "get one now".

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DrKupo said:
If i was buying, I'd get a real, full-fledged, laptop, not a netbook. You will regret buying one days after the purchase.

maybe he want something small & lightweight?

I would also recommend to get one now because the trend seems to go towards smaller battery packs...okay they are lithium polymer not ion, but after all they aren't really upgradeable (look at the 10-cell 13.000 mAh battery for the eeePC 1000
biggrin.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1