wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
nesDS PD 10/19/10
Opensource
309895nintendo_nes102010.jpg

A project has emerged to port nesDS to an opensource development kit. Dwedit (PocketNES source maintainer) started a project over 2 years ago to port PocketNES from the GBA side to the DS side. The currently available revision of nesDS was described as being a port of PocketNES 9.96. Dwedits project (if completed) would bring a much more optimized NES EMU to the DS Homebrew scene. However, Dwedit has reported that real life has pushed back the project and no new information has been released for some time.

The code being ported as part of the opensource project is described as being the last official sources from Loopy, meaning this would port an out of date version of PocketNES. However, a port that compiles under freely traded NDS Homebrew development kits means that updates might come much more quickly and be easier to implement -- if Homebrew developers take notice.

icon11.gif
 Project Post
icon11.gif
Dwedits Homepage
icon11.gif
Original PocketNES Homepage
icon11.gif
 Source

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oooh, so that's what the thing about nesDS' source code being hard to work with was about. I'd heard there were some kind of issues but I didn't know it was made for/compiled on the official devkit.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
i remember reading a post where dwedit said anyone can update the nesds source if they have $5,000 to purchase the tool chain.

-another world

I wonder if dwedit would be willing to release the latest nesds source code now that people are working on making it work without the expensive toolchain. I don't see why you would need to spend the $5k on the toolchain unless you are not willing to port it to the free devkits.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
I wonder if dwedit would be willing to release the latest nesds source code now that people are working on making it work without the expensive toolchain. I don't see why you would need to spend the $5k on the toolchain unless you are not willing to port it to the free devkits.
That's what they're trying to do, port it to devkitpro. After he (and whoever else works on it) ports it you won't need Nintendo's devkit.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the only thing i didnt like about nesds was the way it had to crop the screen... but i dont think that can be solved ever due to the ds and nes resolution :/

what else is there to fix?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wah! Super Turrican and Alien Syndrome both don't work; garbled backgrounds, unplayable.

They didn't work in previous versions either though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: hahahaha