nesds on dstwo?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by fatkoq, Jan 19, 2013.

Jan 19, 2013

nesds on dstwo? by fatkoq at 6:46 AM (1,459 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. fatkoq
    OP

Newcomer fatkoq Newbie

United States
    I can't seem to find a decent n00b-proof description of how to get nesds to work on a dstwo. I see other reports of "Device failed." but no actual solution posted. I've looked at dldi patching, but it does not appear to be the solution, as the result is the same whether or not I patch. Everyone who has it working says it's so much better than nester (which is playable but choppy), so I'd really like to get it working. Can someone who has a dstwo with nesds working please walk me through this?

2. fatkoq
    OP

Newcomer fatkoq Newbie

United States
    for the record, I haven't gotten nesds to work as a dstwo plugin, but the moonshell version works.

3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I'm not sure I gather where the problem is, aside from making the plugin (the shortcut) on the menu (through the cart itself), it's basically drag and drop. All cards these days have automatic DLDI patching, which is something you don't need to worry about.

nesDS works out of the box on pretty much all cards.

4. fatkoq
    OP

Newcomer fatkoq Newbie

United States
    I decided to work on this some more, and once again I'm hitting this roadblock. Nothing but "device failed" every time I load nesDS. Yes, it's just drag-and-drop. It's in the supercard dstwo's menu alright, but instead of working, it says "device failed." I am curious what the error means - it is so generic, it gives me no clue where to start looking for the problem.

5. fatkoq
    OP

Newcomer fatkoq Newbie

United States
    UPDATE: It works fine on my son's DS. He has a Kingston 16GB microSD and I have a Samsung 32GB microSD. I've isolated the problem to something within the microSD (his microSD in my dstwo in my dsi works just fine). So I'm not sure if the problem is with the microSD hardware or a difference in the software. I have to get to work so I will have to investigate later. I'd love to hear if anyone has similar experiences. I'd like to have a 32GB, unless there are known problems with 32GB cards, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. I wonder if anyone else has problems with Samsung-branded microSD cards? I suppose I will just back up my saves and try rebuilding my data on the memory card, but I suspect a hardware issue or corrupted file may be in play.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You didn't get that MicroSD off eBay or some chinese import shop, did you?

7. hiroakihsu

Member hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

United States
    Yeah I'd say always go with SanDisk or Kingston...They're much more reliable.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Kingston isn't reliable, they're a reseller.

9. fatkoq
    OP

Newcomer fatkoq Newbie

United States
    I got the Samsung 32GB off of newegg. The 16GB that works fine I got off of Amazon. All my crap would fit on a 16GB, but I like the idea of having room to expand, or in case I want to load up a movie or something. I don't have any other problems with my dstwo - NDS games play fine, and all other emulators seem to run as expected. That's why I was so confused initially, because the microsd didn't seem like a likely culprit to me since everything other than nesDS works just fine. So in any event, I'm off to try redoing my Samsung (since I don't have a spare 32GB or 16GB at the moment), hoping that if I reformat it and recopy all of the data, perhaps it will work. But now this thread can serve to answer the question of the "device failed" message. I know I'm not the first as I did see it on another forum at one point, but no one ever pinpointed what the solution was. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on a Sandisk 32GB. It's so hard to know what's good and what's crap these days.

In summary, if nesDS says "device failed" check your microsd!