NES vs Emulator

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by steveroo, Jun 23, 2016.

1. steveroo
    OP

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    At first I was concerned about legal aspect of roms, then it turned into wanting the authentic game play; exact replica of sound, colour and speed.

The last few years I've been playing NES on WII, PSX IMBNES, and PS2 emulators. Now, I'm thinking about buying the NES console with a hundred in one cartridge.

How is the original Nintendo Entertainment System compared to the emulators I've played on? are the emulators roughly 100% the same as the original system + having save state feature & filters for hd tv thus making the emulators better than the NES?

Last edited by steveroo, Jun 23, 2016
  2. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Only emulator that is close to an actual NES is Nintendulator. And those multi game carts don't have 100 games on them more like 10.

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Just thought i should let you know that most of the time these cartridges are like 10 games repeated a bunch of times. I think you want a flashcart which can hold all the nes roms on the cart

4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Another way its to purchase a 60 to 72 pin adapter, there are some cartridges that INDEED got 250 or even 500 games in one, i got one myself, they are bout 30 bucks for 2 packs, pretty awesome.

5. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    if your buying a nes get a ever drive nes flash cart. Or you can hunt down the actual carts like i have lol. I have over 430 of them. There are other nes flash carts. For best experience you need a decent crt sd TV. HD TV's Suck ass for retro....

Last edited by Captain_N, Jul 1, 2016
    KiiWii, cvskid and yuyuyup like this.
  6. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I think if you want to replicate the experience, you should get a CRT monitor which naturally has better "blacks" than an LCD (but LCDs have gotten better and better)

7. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Get the nes system, the toaster model, disable the 10nes chip inside of it, and buy a everdrive n8. Also buy an audio splitter so you get double mono sound instead of single mono sound. A sega genesis model 1 ac/dc wall plug will also work with nes if you can't find the original plug for it.

Last edited by cvskid, Jul 1, 2016
    VinsCool likes this.
  8. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I would mod my nes for true stereo someday. That might be even better!

cvskid likes this.
  9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Depends on how crazy you want to go. On Windows, Nestopia is pretty much the most accurate NES/Famicom/FDS emulator you could get.

As for the NES, there was just recently a mod-PCB that you could get that enables an HDMI-out for the NES along with an internal scaler. I imagine this, plus an Everdrive N8, and it would be hard to find a game that wouldn't look amazing on an HDTV.

10. Erikku

Erikku GBATemp's Official Cancer Treatment

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    The channel description
    bro, just know if you buy that 100 games in one cart, u gotta also buy action 52 that's like the best game on the system, it's so bad

11. mrmilkman

mrmilkman Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2008
    Anyone got a clone N8? They are pretty cheap at AliExpress. I'm considering buying one but worried that it will be shit. Any difference to the official one? Any real reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper one from China? Thanks

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hey any link to this? I'd like to look into it!

12. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —
    Hey any link to this? I'd like to look into it![/QUOTE]
    http://retrorgb.com/nesrgb.html

13. Evilengine

Evilengine GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    you need a RGB Mod and a CRT Screen. The mod is not cheap but you want the true NES feeling, so a HDTV definately won't bring it. Even RF is morea NESesque than a Flatscreen.