NES Clean UP

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by WiiFit_Guy, Jun 13, 2015.

1. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

WiiFit_Guy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Recently I got a NES from a garage sale. I was able to get the two games that came with it to play. Problem is that it took a lot of blowing into the cartridges and the NES itself. I even took out my compressed air can to dust off the NES inside.
    Though I feel that sometimes the power light flickers a lot when I first put in a game. That is when I need to start blowing the NES and cartridge and turn the system on and off or try to reset it to get the thing to work.

I was wandering what is the best least risky way of cleaning the NES and trying to get the games to play all the time without tinkering and needed to blow the cartridge and system all the time.

Thanks

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  3. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
  4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    you can use it just on the cartridge contacts (the part where you blow) its a spray.
    however if you want to do the thing in the right way you should open the nes and spray in cartridge contacts pins

there are other versions of kontakt, specialized for contacts or other things but vulpes recommended the pcc one..

5. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    I'd recommend buying a new 72-pin connector for inside the system itself

6. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Do they cost a lot? And is it easy to install and replace?

7. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    It's usually not the cartridge connector that's the problem, it's the blasted CIC (10NES) chip that's really sensitive. Blowing on the cartridges is generally not the best idea; instead, consider cleaning the contacts of your carts with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and Q-tips, or something similar that won't corrode the contacts. If you're not scared of opening your NES, you could also cut pin 4 of the CIC chip to remove the flashing gray/black screen altogether and improve the reliability of your console.

http://console5.com/wiki/Improving_NES-001_Reliability
    http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/CIC_lockout_chip

8. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    not very expensive, and easy to replace, just open the NES up, pull the old connector off, line up the new one and push it onto the pcb