Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
25942-A6XBIuQCMAEAVqY.jpg

The NeoGeo X is a new handheld that will support retro NeoGeo arcade games. If you are unfamiliar with the NeoGeo, the list of games for this system includes such franchises as Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown. The handheld is scheduled to be released December 6th, just in time for a special retro gamer on your list. The system will come preloaded with 20 classic titles and additional titles may be made available for purchase via memory cards.

The hardware consists of a 4.3 inch LCD screen, an SD card slot, AV out, stereo speakers, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The screen will run in a native resolution of 480x272 (widescreen), something which has caused an uproar among NeoGeo gamers.

A more expensive "Gold" edition of the system will feature an original Neo-Geo AES console that functions as a charging/docking station, its own AV out and HDMI output, along with a functioning replica of the original AES joystick controller.

It is yet unknown if the system will be able to play ROMs or if the possibly of Homebrew will exist for the system. If you are interested, and do not own something that accurately emulates the NeoGeo, please buy one with this in mind.

icon11.gif
NeoGeo X Homepage
icon11.gif
NeoGeo X Wiki Article
icon11.gif
NeoGeo X "Gold" edition via Amazon.com

Reactions: 431unknown

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The official website says if you preorder the gold edition you also get Ninja Master on a NeoGeo X game card. So you actually get 21 games in all. I'd really love to pick one up but am unsure if I will.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully you can open it up to play roms just like with the C64 plug and play joysticks. To be honest, you can probably get a much cheaper device and do a lot more with it (hello PSP & DS). It's nice that SNK are doing something official but for what it does it's far too pricey.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is the manufacturer of this device? Is it the original manufacturer of the NeoGeo? (Sorry if that's a stupid question, haha)

I wonder if it will only play retro games or if it will be a whole new console for developers to make games for to compete with the 3DS and Vita. I'd like to see a new company try to get into the console war. It gets boring with the same companies releasing consoles every few years :P

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That arcade stick looks so sexy.......I definitely want it....too bad only 4 buttons, if I could ever get it to run MAME it'll be challenging to play Street Fighter with 2 buttons less, but it should be fine for most games....

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, the Neo Geo... and at an insane price. Beautiful hardware, though.

I'd be automatically more interested if the arcade edition of Super Dodge Ball that was only available for the MVS Neo Geo systems was made available. But yea, $200, for just Neo Geo games? That somehow almost makes the Vita's ridiculous price look good.

Would still want one, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-