Need Technical help about charging/voltages/stuff

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Dennis G, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Dennis G
    OP

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hello guys, i have a question.
    so i since i've put wireless charging in my 3ds, i have a worry now.
    what "would" happen if i wirelessly charge my 3ds with a wireless charger at 800mah 4.8v but also plug in the charger cable that would supply another 1amp 4.8v, would they stack? would it kill my n3ds xl? i really don't want to try it, but i really would like know, just on a need to know base. My thinking would be that the volt wont stack and it would just addup in mah but since the 3ds only takes 1A max it wouldn't matter how many sources i'd hook up right? still want to know for 100% sure, oh and the magnetic field of my wireless charger seems to disrupt the touchscreen while wireless charging, it wont move it around but the middle is hard to touch control while charging, that shouldn't be to harmfull though right?

Last edited by Dennis G, Sep 28, 2016
  2. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    You should be worrying about the magnetic field , ever remember when magnets could mess up SD cards, use Copper tape to shield your components and touch screen, oh yeah it would stack and blow it badly, use a gate to disable the charge port when power comes via wireless charger

Edit: Its super harmful

Last edited by TariqSoftDev, Sep 28, 2016
  3. Dennis G
    OP

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    i have a silver, quite hard tape on the coil of the receiver (came with it), it's on the side of the touch screen but it seems like the transmitter comes though to the touchscreen though.
    and what exacly do you mean by "gate", could you provide a picture of sorts, i'm not 100% With english :P

4. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Here Click
    and use copper tape it reflects the magnetic field thats why all modern phones use

5. Dennis G
    OP

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    thank's i'll get some copper tape, place it over it, the sd card is not close to my charging coil so that should be fine, but won't charge wirelessly for now untill i got the inside all wrapt up in copper :P
    i'll look in to the gate's stuff too, but not today thanks though =)

6. Dennis G
    OP

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    wouldn't charing from 2 output's in to the same input result in it being parallel? i have the wireless charger connected to the charging port of the n3ds so that would make it parallel or not? so voltages shouldn't stack or am i missing something?

Edit: i have a broken n3ds eu motherboard + a spare powerboard, plugging a charger in gives me charging light, i'm gonna replicate charging from two sources in the name of science, this dead mobo will once again have use again ! =D

Last edited by Dennis G, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Dennis G
    OP

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Great news. i've tested it with my second motherboard, and if i put my "wired" 3ds charging on to my wireless charge pad. my charge pad will not charge it as soon as it pull out the wire from my 3ds the wireless charge pad lights up (meaning it has connection) and starts wireless charging my 3ds =) so i'm all good, even when i wireless charge and then put the charger in it won't double charge it, it wil disable one or the other, idk how but i think that's a safety feature on wireless chargers that they wont charge if ther is already current on the receiver or something.