Homebrew need suggestions on how to hack n3ds

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so I got my n3ds about 3 weeks ago, it is vers 9.9.0-26u. but, I noticed that Nintendo made them w/ crappy wifi antennas or something. the main wifi spot I go to, it can SEE the wifi, but will not connect to it even though it has full bars.
I have noticed that pretty much all the hacks need internet connection, or another entry point (why, what would be the point then), so pretty much my n3ds cannot connect to the internet. who knows though, maybe ill get lucky and find a wifi spot somewhere it can actually connect to. I do not have internet at my home, therefore I use wifi spots to go online.

I have only an android phone to use to download files etc to put on the sd card also.

do I really have to hack it just to play old systems such as snes and gba on it?? is there anyway I can just put roms onto it and it will play them (I know it's wishful dreaming)

is there anyway at all, that anyone knows of, that I can hack my n3ds?

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading about how to downgrade, and I'd have to hack the n3ds to downgrade it. I was looking at the supersmash bros hack,, seems kinda weird, but it doesn't look like I need to be online for it.

this is what I have been reading btw about which exploits there are: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

but if I hacked it, I might as well try to find a way to get 3ds games on there too ;) but I definitely want to put emulators on it.

does anyone else have trouble getting the 3ds to go online??? I don't get why Nintendo had to make them w/ crappy wifi recievers. my ds lite I could never get it to go online. what can I do to make it connect??

Last edited by mike a,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I was reading about how to downgrade, and I'd have to hack the n3ds to downgrade it. I was looking at the supersmash bros hack,, seems kinda weird, but it doesn't look like I need to be online for it.

this is what I have been reading btw about which exploits there are: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

but if I hacked it, I might as well try to find a way to get 3ds games on there too ;) but I definitely want to put emulators on it.

does anyone else have trouble getting the 3ds to go online??? I don't get why Nintendo had to make them w/ crappy wifi recievers. my ds lite I could never get it to go online. what can I do to make it connect??
I've never had any WiFi problems with my Nintendo products (including my 3DSes). Have you added the network in Connection Settings?

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am pretty sure i did, it is the wifi of a business hear my house, I go there at night in a secluded spot when it is closed. I think I read somewhere n3ds needs certain routers to connect to or it wont connect,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Go back into network connections and choose to test the connection. It seems strange that a business would have wifi on with no password when they're closed (my guess is you just haven't set up the connection or gave the wrong password)

Unfortunately the only free way to hack your console is browserhax (which requires an internet connection). You can buy Ocarina of Time and a PowerSaves device to hack offline.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what a power saves device is, and no lol there is no password on that wifi, I go on there w/ my phone almost every night.

ok, so I go back there tonight, search and then test the connection? man I was reading the arm9loaderhax tutorial, so many chances of bricking the console lol, it looks like a lot of work if you ask me. if I were to just downgrade to 9.2, and have homebrew launcher, could I put emulators on there? I read another tutorial where it shows you how to hack w/outarm9x also,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know what a power saves device is, and no lol there is no password on that wifi, I go on there w/ my phone almost every night.

ok, so I go back there tonight, search and then test the connection? man I was reading the arm9loaderhax tutorial, so many chances of bricking the console lol, it looks like a lot of work if you ask me. if I were to just downgrade to 9.2, and have homebrew launcher, could I put emulators on there? I read another tutorial where it shows you how to hack w/outarm9x also,
You can't do ANYTHING without access to homebrew. What happens when you test the connection in connection settings on your 3ds?
If you can't troubleshoot getting your 3ds connected, OoT and PowerSaves is your only choice (I think all the other exploits either require a second 3ds with homebrew or an internet connection, but you can check here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mine has done the same thing twice now a couple months apart. Same exact situation, it even had the "Internet" with full bars showing on my 3DS but would refuse to establish a connection. It's definitely just a problem with the 3DS' wi-fi card. I fixed it by power cycling the router and 3DS, removing the battery, deleting all network configurations and doing a system format. When I added it afterwards it worked fine. I still have no idea what caused it OR what really fixed it but it eventually worked for me after a process.

Reactions: Quantumcat

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine has done the same thing twice now a couple months apart. Same exact situation, it even had the "Internet" with full bars showing on my 3DS but would refuse to establish a connection. It's definitely just a problem with the 3DS' wi-fi card. I fixed it by power cycling the router and 3DS, removing the battery, deleting all network configurations and doing a system format. When I added it afterwards it worked fine. I still have no idea what caused it OR what really fixed it but it eventually worked for me after a process.

Well remember I don't have access to the router lol its in a closed business. The wifi here is guest wifi, was wondering if a port is blocked or something but I can dload torrents just fine. A few sites are blocked though but that shouldn't have anything to do with the 3ds I'd imagine.

Ok lol, I do not know what power cycling is either btw, but the other stuff I can do to the 3ds. And I wanna know, I did turn off the auto software updates. But if I go online will the system try to auto update the firmware?

Last edited by mike a,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well remember I don't have access to the router lol its in a closed business. The wifi here is guest wifi, was wondering if a port is blocked or something but I can dload torrents just fine. A few sites are blocked though but that shouldn't have anything to do with the 3ds I'd imagine.

Ok lol, I do not know what power cycling is either btw, but the other stuff I can do to the 3ds. And I wanna know, I did turn off the auto software updates. But if I go online will the system try to auto update the firmware?
The system does download the newest updates while connected to the internet, yes. You have to physically agree to let it install though. And yes, it definitely does matter that it's a guest wi-fi as these are notorious for not using a configuration accepted by the 3DS. The 3DS is supposed to only allow WEP encryption connections to a router, since MOST people use WPA, it's a bit touchy. Many of my friends have had to ask for static IP assignments through the IT department at UNI to be able to establish a stable connection on their 3DS because of the same firewalls/encryption. If you can't access the router anyway than you're probably SOL. Power Cycling is literally turning it off and turning it on again, though some will say it's draining the battery dead and recharging to 95%,either or. The fact you can access the internet on a different device is irrelevant. The 3DS doesn't have specific ports itself, the games that access online features do. Not that it matters as you need access to the router's firewall settings to forward ports anyway.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system does download the newest updates while connected to the internet, yes. You have to physically agree to let it install though. And yes, it definitely does matter that it's a guest wi-fi as these are notorious for not using a configuration accepted by the 3DS. The 3DS is supposed to only allow WEP encryption connections to a router, since MOST people use WPA, it's a bit touchy. Many of my friends have had to ask for static IP assignments through the IT department at UNI to be able to establish a stable connection on their 3DS because of the same firewalls/encryption. If you can't access the router anyway than you're probably SOL. Power Cycling is literally turning it off and turning it on again, though some will say it's draining the battery dead and recharging to 95%,either or. The fact you can access the internet on a different device is irrelevant. The 3DS doesn't have specific ports itself, the games that access online features do. Not that it matters as you need access to the router's firewall settings to forward ports anyway.

well,, i actually googled power cycling lol I was like ok, so that needs a fancy name,, whataever. after I googled it, I did just that
... AND IT WORKED!!! I was like wtf,, my 3ds is online, I swear I had done that before, but this time it actually worked. I did find out all about nintendos update crap though, basically to do anything online, I need to update the firmware. don't know if my 1 game would work online, but probly, it is heroes of ruin, other game I have is mh3u (no online).

I looked at the faq of the plaitarch tutorial, and there was a question that asked if all could be done w/ a smartphone,, the answer was no. all I have to work with is a smartphone, although a friend did say once he'd help me w/ his laptop. but after reading the tutorial, I wonder how long it all would take. also, I earn credits on pay to do sites all the time, that is actually how I paid for my n3ds+mh3u lol I paid $3.75 cash for the whole bundle,, but yeah I had to do A LOT of surveys and offers lol. but to buy 3ds games, and vc games to me is nothing, it would be very easy.

so I ask, I could hack lite it, and be able to put emulators on it w/out online play, OR, update, have online play, have to buy all the games, but no risk of bricking, and I don't know when my friend would help me w/ hacking it.

other option, is.. whenever I get paypal,, get a flashcart. would be a lil bit, I'd have to risk it on ebay, but I was def looking at the sky3ds+ just out of curiousity. I already have an r4isdhc gold pro 2016 nds flashcart, that does work on the 3ds.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Downgrade to 9.2 and setup a luma3ds emunand - which you can update to 11.0.33

Only thing you'd need a PC for is to run a python script to add a cia installer into the H&S app [Fairly sure anyone could do this for you and send you the modified H&S app -- unless uploading your H&S is frowned upon legally (I'm not too sure)].

You can run emulators from where you are currently; via hbl/3dsx apps [boot to HBL and install menuhax; so you won't need browserhax again] but they are slower that the cia versions you'd be able to install to emunand or to the a9lh system if you follow the full guide.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but it looks like a lot of work,, and a lot of risk to brick the 3ds lol, I haven't downgraded it yet, all I did was go online w/ it, and download the hbl starter kit on my phone.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
There really isn't a brick risk at this point; and a downgrade to 9.2 shouldn't really cause anyone concern. The downgrade to 2.1 if you were doing the whole a9lh process does seem to give some people issues but I think that's more due to impatience and not following the guide correctly.

Anyway within the HBL starter kit is a menuhax installer, so run that and you won't need browserhax again [unless you remove it]; there should also be some emulators in the kit and any 3dsx files you find can be added to the 3ds folder and run via HBL.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/ this is the guide you are talking about right?? do I really need to downgrade to 2.1? that part scares me the most actually,, how long does that process take?? it says it's a long process, and are all the file links the latest version?
Yeah that's the guide. If you follow it step by step you won't have an issue. Seriously DO NOT SKIP anything even if it seems redundant to you. Also you can always use ctrhttpwn to bypass the update nag when using online features in games and your friends list etc.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea that's the guide and the links are typically to the source of the various programs/files so they are the latest files.

But no, In your case I'd do just parts 1, 2 and 3 [you've already almost done part 1]

part 4 - the downgrade to 2.1 is needed if you want to go fully to a9lh; which is like a superhax i.e. the hax is run very soon after boot but there is a simplified downgrade to 2.1 coming that I don't think has been added to the guide yet.

Reactions: Majickhat55

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it to connect to that wifi spot, bad thing is some stupid college kids moved into the house right next to it lol, I said hi to them, they looked at me all weird kinda, and said hello, they seem like total yuppies, and stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay