Hacking Need some help.

MrMaple

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm new to Flash Carts in general, and would like some advice and what I should get.

I will be using a DS and will mostly be interested in playing Pokemon Games. I'm not interested in additional features, I'm just mainly looking for something that can play the games without a hassle.

Also, another question I've been wondering is I have a DSi I can use also, but I'm kind of afraid to use it as I don't know what a Flashcart can do to your system. Is there anything to worry about using my DSi, or will it be completely safe?

I'm really sorry if this has been asked a ton, I just don't want to dump cash in to something that doesn't work or is below par.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The DSTWO is the best flashcart you can get, with the Acekard 2i coming in second. Both have excellent compatibility, while the DSTWO is slightly more expensive, it packs an onboard CPU that allows for GBA emulation, as well as other features, such as a Real Time Menu. Both are compatible with the DSi, provided that they have been updated properly, but running flashcarts will not damage your DSi in any way. If you're looking for a cheaper cart, try out the original R4 or the R4i Gold or R4iDSN. The original R4 is tried and true, but lacks SDHC and DSi compatibility, with the latter options work just as well, and can support MicroSDHC and the DSi, as well, again, provided that they have been updated. However, beware of clones.

Once you have decided on what cart you have, and have received it, you'll need to download the proper firmware. The easiest way to do this is by using FlashcartHelper, which you can find in my signature (It's the big image that says "FlashcartHelper" :wink:) You could also search for the firmware on filetrip, but I assure you, for beginners, the easiest way woud be to use FlashcartHelper, assuming you're running Windows. If not, then you'll have to search for it.

Here's a nifty infographic to help you choose
cart_chart.gif

If you need more info, visit this thread

And, welcome to the 'temp :grog:

Reactions: 1 person

MrMaple

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the Acekard 2i seems really nice so I think I might go with that. Would you recommend a site to buy it from?

How important is Auto AP Bypass? If the Flashcart doesn't have it, will it affect which games I can play? I'm looking to play Pokemon Black/White mostly.

This is a little more specific, but will I be able to do events for Pokemon games, such as receiving your Mystery Gift?

Thanks so much for the help, I've been searching Forums for days looking for these answers and I haven't been able to find them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Auto AP bypass refers to being able to play games without waiting for the flash cart to update, but flash carts usually update a bit after major game releases (or a large number of smaller games), so at any given time most (if not all) games work on updated carts. So Black and White were fixed a long time ago.

Yes, mystery gift and such do work, but do note that if you intend to play HG/SS as well, the pokewalker cannot work with a flash cart. The original cart has an IR port and hardware, flash carts do not. That's pretty much the only limitation with the pokemon games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: @K3Nv2