PS1/2 Need some help with PSX(Laser/ModChip)

razenxd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Funnily enough, your post motivated me to fiddle around with my PS1 lens - I pretty much dismissed it as dead and in need of a replacement ages ago. Managed to read an Audio CD, albeit skipping after fooling around with the pots blindly, "you are what you dare"! :rofl2:

Heh that's nice, so will you also try to fix it with the help of the multimeter?
Well i had blindly turned the Ribbon pot sometime ago, but i hadn't seen any improvement, so great news for you :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Heh that's nice, so will you also try to fix it with the help of the multimeter?
Well i had blindly turned the Ribbon pot sometime ago, but i hadn't seen any improvement, so great news for you :D
I don't think it's fixable - it needs a new laser. I'm just refreshing my memory, really. :P

Never do it blindly! I'm being a bad boy here! ;O;

razenxd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think it's fixable - it needs a new laser. I'm just refreshing my memory, really. :P

Never do it blindly! I'm being a bad boy here! ;O;

I see,well just for info,
If u buy a new laser replacement, do u have to go to set bias and gain or not?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see,well just for info,
If u buy a new laser replacement, do u have to go to set bias and gain or not?
They should be set to optimal values prior to installing a new lens, but if you haven't fiddled with them yet to adjust them to the old lens, they should be fine as they are.

razenxd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They should be set to optimal values prior to installing a new lens, but if you haven't fiddled with them yet to adjust them to the old lens, they should be fine as they are.

Got that.So u have to do things even if u dont wanna fix the old lens :P
Well i just found again that video

In which that guy cleary measures the ohms,is this somekind of the same with measuring the voltage?
Or it's a tottaly different things?
Should i do it too, or just measure and adjust voltages?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Got that.So u have to do things even if u dont wanna fix the old lens :P
Well i just found again that video

In which that guy cleary measures the ohms,is this somekind of the same with measuring the voltage?
Or it's a tottaly different things?
Should i do it too, or just measure and adjust voltages?
Ohms are a measure of resistance, turning the pots increases or decreases the resistance. Voltage is the measurement of electrical potential. Ohm's law. Refresh your knowledge of physics. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

lab1plot.gif

I (Current in Amperes) = V (Potential in Volts) / R (Resistance in Ohms)

They're measuring two different things while trying to do one common thing - adjusting to nominal values. Technically whatever you measure is still wrong as proper calibration is performed with the use of an oscillator.

By the way, I wanted to add that the number of pots you'll encounter may vary - having disassembled my PS1 (model SCPH-7002) I only have two - one for laser intensity on the ribbon and one for sensitivity on the motherboard. Double-check your model and what each of the pots you encounter does before doing anything and try to refrain from fiddling with sensitivity/gain/bias unless needs be - a laser strength adjustment should be all you need.

Speaking of my PS1, I got it to read discs every single time now, but it skips and the laser cannot be adjusted any higher without failing, but it was fun to dabble with it again - it's definitely in better shape now than it used to be. :P

razenxd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ohms are a measure of resistance, turning the pots increases or decreases the resistance. Voltage is the measurement of electrical potential, increasing or decreasing the resistance decreases or increases the current according to Ohm's law. Refresh your knowledge of physics. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

They're measuring two different things while trying to do one common thing - adjusting to nominal values. Technically whatever you measure is still wrong as proper calibration is performed with the use of an oscillator.

By the way, I wanted to add that the number of pots you'll encounter may vary - having disassembled my PS1 (model SCPH-7002) I only have two - one for laser intensity on the ribbon and one for sensitivity on the motherboard. Double-check your model and what each of the pots you encounter does before doing anything and try to refrain from fiddling with sensitivity/gain/bias unless needs be - a laser strength adjustment should be all you need.

Speaking of my PS1, I got it to read discs every single time now, but it skips and the laser cannot be adjusted any higher without failing, but it was fun to dabble with it again - it's definitely in better shape now than it used to be. :P

Well really i might not refresh my knowledge of psysics but i should start reading again psysics
I was really never into that, and i had not any connection with physics since i finished school,4 years ago :P
Well my PSX is SCPH-1002 and it's exactly the same as the one on the guide, that making it a lot easier :)
Well i'll try it tommorow and post you what i've done and how it goes!!!
Good for you ;) If i see that mine it can't be helped i'm gonna buy a replacement lens.
I really wanna play some games on my psx :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well really i might not refresh my knowledge of psysics but i should start reading again psysics
I was really never into that, and i had not any connection with physics since i finished school,4 years ago :P
Well my PSX is SCPH-1002 and it's exactly the same as the one on the guide, that making it a lot easier :)
Well i'll try it tommorow and post you what i've done and how it goes!!!
Good for you ;) If i see that mine it can't be helped i'm gonna buy a replacement lens.
I really wanna play some games on my psx :D
Tell me about it. I need to buy a lens for mine - this is the second repair attempt and while I got it somewhat working, it's still skipping far too much to be of any use. Need more work, uh-huh. ;)

Just remember, whether you measure volts or resistance is completely irrelevant as long as you set the thing to optimal values. ;)

razenxd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well i tried to make that happen.
But on the 1st step i was out.
Well i tried to measure the DC of the laser point and the ground.
But It can't happen to measure the exact time the laser is up as the numbers change all the time, and stabling after some time.
Really dunno if i'm making something wrong or if i got to guess :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Cheers for the links :P