Need some help with my soft nodded xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by Chickenhunterx, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Chickenhunterx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    So I soft nodded my Xbox awhile ago upgraded to a 2tb hdd and it works great and all but in order to get it to boot the part of the cable that's usually plugged into the dvd drive needs to be plugged into the hdd and vice versa so now the hdd is forced to sit on the dvd drive instead of where it's supposed to go and I can't put it back together like that so any ideas on what I did wrong?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Connect the IDE cable with the long end on the HDD and the two short ends on the DVD and motherboard.

3. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    I did that but it doesn't boot when connected that just gives me some error in multiple languages when connected in that order

4. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    Check the jumper on the HDD, it's probably set to Cable Select, so the HDD may be trying to set itself as Slave. Set it to Master.

5. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    Well I just took a look looks like the jumper is missing and I don't have any old hard drives kicking around to steal one from so once I find a replacement for it I'll give it a try

6. PewnyPL

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    If you have any old PCs around that you don't use, look in them, a lot of them had a metric ton of jumpers for various settings.
    Another thing - what does it say on the HDD in jumper configuration? Lack of a jumper can be a valid state (most likely is) and it can vary on what it is as there never was a standard for those things.

7. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    No don't have any old computers laying around anymore I was hoping the old hard drive had one still but no and I'm using an adapter to connect the hdd and on it it's got 4 settings cable slave master and acd

Edit: now that Im thinking about I Renner the instructions that came with the adapter said that no jumper also put it in cable select mode

Last edited by Chickenhunterx, Apr 3, 2017
  8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You can wrap some wire around the pins.
    I don't recommend it but it's a possibility.

Edit: stripped wire ofcourse.

9. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
  10. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    I might give that try later to test it out and if it works I'll order some jumpers since I'm never home when the local computer shop is open

11. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    jumpers you can find at a lot of electronic stores. Like small gadget electronic stores.

12. Chickenhunterx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    I recently moved to a small town theirs one computer shop iv yet to check out but they're open after I go to work and closed before I get back and iv yet to see them open on the weekends

13. PewnyPL

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    Well, they should also have those in any store with electronic parts (like Radioshack)