Hacking Need some help on a HDD

DonovanMcDabbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this, but I was looking into getting an external HDD for the Wii U. I was looking at the Sabrent external HDD dock that has a fan (EC-DFFN) and a Seagate 1tb HDD. I was wondering if I was to get 2 HDDs, could I use one for the Wii U (Since it formats the hdd for the Wii U only) and format the other one to fat32 and use it for the gamecube and wii games on the vWii? Would it be as easy as swapping the HDDs with the Wii U off? Also do I need to get different USB cable or will the one the dock comes with work fine? Thank you all in advance for the help! Also is there a better HDD dock you guys would recommend? I bought a My Passport 1tb but wanna take it back to get something with a power source.

Last edited by DonovanMcDabbs,

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you only have 1 HDD attached at a time you should be fine. I run a separate 2TB drive for the Wii U side and a 5TB drive for the Wii/GameCube/PS1 games on the vWii.

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use ustealth to hide the hdd for the vwii side. Then you won’t have to swap drives. I use a sea gate 2tb for Wii U and western digital 4tb for Wii/GameCube/etc... I know it’s over kill but anything that’s worth doing is worth overdoing;)

DonovanMcDabbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use ustealth to hide the hdd for the vwii side. Then you won’t have to swap drives. I use a sea gate 2tb for Wii U and western digital 4tb for Wii/GameCube/etc... I know it’s over kill but anything that’s worth doing is worth overdoing;)
Absolutely! I was thinking it wouldn't pick up anything over 2tb but I don't really know where I got that at. What are you using the hard drives with? A dock or y cable? I have an external hdd but I'm afraid the y cable wouldn't be as good of an option as a docking station. I heard the y cable might not get enough power sometimes and can cause it to disconnect mid gaming.

Last edited by DonovanMcDabbs,

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that the wii u couldn't use anything over 2 tb's and honestly that's more then enough. Both HDD's I use have external power. I also bought pretty decent one's as I want them to last.

DonovanMcDabbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which hdd casing are you using if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at the Sabrent lay flat station and just putting a hdd in it. I should be able to use a usb 2.0 cable with it and everything work fine right?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which hdd casing are you using if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at the Sabrent lay flat station and just putting a hdd in it. I should be able to use a usb 2.0 cable with it and everything work fine right?

probably, but I've had three hdds die in sabrent enclosures. I'm not sure if it was the hdd model itself (all three were the same), the enclosure, or the age of the hdds.

DonovanMcDabbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably, but I've had three hdds die in sabrent enclosures. I'm not sure if it was the hdd model itself (all three were the same), the enclosure, or the age of the hdds.
Oh damn thats no good! What enclosure would you recommend? I'm just going to get one and 2 hdds.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know. I have like 8 sabrents. it's luck of the draw I guess. never tried anything else. however, I always buy the same hdd make/model for some reason. that hdd has been discontinued for a smaller version of it. it's the WD elements drive. I've never had one of the small ones die. they're not self-powered though, like the original, bigger version. I'm actually using the smaller version with my Wii U. I've never had a problem with it, and it's using like three extension cables just to reach the system. lol ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I recently bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-WD5000A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

with this enclosure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Ba...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I've only had the hdd and enclosure for a month or so. it's for my windows backups. I backed up everything on my laptop just in case something were to happen. after two of those sabrents died and having no backup, I decided to back up everything once, even twice, even three times. lol :)

DonovanMcDabbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and got that enclosure, it looks nice and is well priced lol. Does the cable it comes with work with the wii u by itself? I don't see why it wouldn't but I just wanna make sure. I also got a WD Blue 1TB hdd for it. Thanks so much for helping this is gonna be way better than that my passport.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and got that enclosure, it looks nice and is well priced lol. Does the cable it comes with work with the wii u by itself? I don't see why it wouldn't but I just wanna make sure. I also got a WD Blue 1TB hdd for it. Thanks so much for helping this is gonna be way better than that my passport.

it should, but iirc, it's not a long cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2