Hacking Need some help convincing parents...

apd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i could've insulted you SO badly right there, but being that i ain't allowed too, i can't.

anyways, i got a good burner, good dvds, and i have some fucking common sense. btw arsehat, they do seem like they know what theyre doing, but... if you look at the price tag, you find.... $80. waaaay too much.

btw thanks guys, great reasons.

But you haven't got a mod chip though eh ?

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
btw arsehat, they do seem like they know what theyre doing, but... if you look at the price tag, you find.... $80. waaaay too much.

Yeah, that's like $30 for the device and $50 for the installation and testing.
smile.gif

Sure, it's only five wires, but there are a metric arseload of screws to open up to get to the case open, then it's a fiddly job to get the flexible connectors out, and it's a pretty delicate piece of electronics work - if you slip with your iron or leave it on the trace a bit long you're screwed, if they slip with theirs they'll want to fix it before they ship it back. Doesn't look that bad when you break it down that way, does it?

Don't know whether or not they include return shipping and insurance - ask them. If they do, it's not so bad, especially if they'll do it as a wired installation (to make things easier if the chip screws up in the future, or if you decide to swap it for something like a YAOSM-based device yourself later). There are a couple of places here in Australia that offer WiiKey installations for AUD$80 including return postage and insurance, so I guess CDN$80 isn't too bad if the return shipping is included too.

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could've insulted you SO badly right there, but being that i ain't allowed too, i can't.

anyways, i got a good burner, good dvds, and i have some fucking common sense. btw arsehat, they do seem like they know what theyre doing, but... if you look at the price tag, you find.... $80. waaaay too much.

could ya? why, a few typos ?

do you really have the common sense? you're DEBATING not getting it professionally installed. first problem, especially for a novice to modding... now i'm not one for stopping people from picking up a new hobby, but do yourself a favor and if you have a soldering iron practice on some old computer hardware.. and if you don't take that into account when you're saying 80$ is way too much... 30$ for the device, then like 20-30 if not more for a proper soldering iron and other supplies for modding, you have maybe a 20-30$ difference from total cost of device and supplies and professional installation. quite frankly with the wii 20$ for peace of mind with an installation of a modchip from a professional isn't a bad deal.

as far as excuses, the biggest and most prominent one parent's will get behind is something thats been mentioned already. FREE games, and now i'm not condoning piracy by saying that but it's cold hard truth. i personally like my flashcards and modchips for the interesting an unique homebrew that have come about, like QuakeDS and DScent for the DS and GCOS for gamecube along with numerous other things. i'm hoping for some strides in the wii homebrew scene sometime soon as the wiimote seems like it could be used in a lot of fun ways that most major developers won't risk doing but homebrew devs have nothing to lose except time (and in some cases money i'd imagine
smile.gif
). so not only do you get free games but the homebrew scene to follow eventually is in my opinion worth it in and of itself.

mikilol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wel if you don't know a local modder , check google.
i didn't knew a local modder either , i went on google for 10 mins and i had found like 20 modders allin my area (and my area is small!) , then i just had to deside wich 1 i took, + most of the modders give you a guarantee on the chip itself, well mine did, i now have a guarantee for a year on the chip and soldering points, + most olso give guarantee during the instalation, if something would happen , they will give you a new wii with a chip in it.

i hope you find 1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj