Need serious help please!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by pgimps, Aug 5, 2011.

Aug 5, 2011

Need serious help please! by pgimps at 2:49 PM (862 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. pgimps
    OP

Newcomer pgimps Advanced Member

United States
    I just got my 2500K gaming rig all setup installed windows, but it won't boot into windows. It will get to "press any key to boot off CD..." then it reboots I changed it so it boots off my SSD,but that didn't work so I installed linux and got to the same spot, but instead it gives me a black screen, so I asked my friend who works at the tech repair center at CNN, and he said run drive fitness or gwscan to try and fix it, so I used the dvd that he gave me and ran the CPU test, and it said that my CPU was running at 3.41 GHz and I didn't do that, so I rebooted went to the multiplier, changed it back now is this "auto overclock" normal? Was it causing my system to not boot? Can anybody please tell me why it is not booting?

I really appreciate any help because this is worrying me a lot because I cannot use my new pc [​IMG]
    I can provide any information necessary, give a video of the process, and anything else.

Edit: I just realized I misspelled serious [​IMG]

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

do you have a Windows setup DVD ? why not just use that and setup windows normally from CD?
    if you dont have one, get one... Windows 7 is fantastic

also, dont worry. you'll be able to use your computer after you've followed the directions that people are about to give you.
    the "auto overclock" feature could be useful if you are going to be playing games so i suppose you could leave it on.
    i doubt it has anything to do with your issue.

3. pgimps
    OP

United States
    I do, but it has a SLIC patch, so I thought that was the issue and that's why I tried to install linux

4. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    did you "press any key" to start the windows installation?

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

just set up win 7 again and see how it goes.

from what it looks like its an issue that should be solved quickly and easily...

oh and if I were you i would set up windows to run from the SSD, should be quite fast [​IMG]

6. pgimps
    OP

United States
    I can show you a video of me installing windows if that helps?

7. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    I guess that helps.

8. pgimps
    OP

United States
    I am recording now, but I a going to try and cut some the "expanding windows part" out.

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    To answer the question of the automatic over clock, that would be TurboBoost kicking in, which gives the CPU a speed boost if you're not using all 4 cores.

10. pgimps
    OP

United States
  11. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    1. look in your bios if there is a mbr overwrite protection or some kind of antivirus protection and disable it before installing windows.
    2. memtest 86+ or windows memory test ( it's on win7 disc, on the screen where you have the install now button, in the bottom left corner)
    3. hdd diag software from your hdd manufacturer

12. pgimps
    OP

United States
    Alright I'll try that, although I did install xubuntu and did manage to be able to boot off of that, but I couldn't log-in (???) and it could respond to the power button. So I am going to reinstall windows.

13. pgimps
    OP

United States
    Alright I reinstalled Windows 7 didn't work [​IMG] redid Xubuntu got that to work and I am currently running off of that [​IMG] , but I still want to have windows to play all of my games. Do you guys think my DVD is bad

14. Originality

United Kingdom
    Since it's not a retail W7 DVD, it's definitely possible. However, I don't know enough about Windows boot sequences to comment.

15. pgimps
    OP

United States
    But I did install it on my laptop so I do not know why it wouldn't work?

16. Originality

United Kingdom
    Random thought... have you only tried installing on SSD and not on HDD?

17. pgimps
    OP

United States
    Yep tried both didn't work, just installed on a virtual machine too didn't work so it could be my DVD, so I may have to get another one

EDIT: Just rebooted the virtual machine and it worked don't know why though?

18. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    if your board come with uefi, you can always try to enable/disable "bios emulation for legacy os" option (or something like that) in your bios menu and reinstall windows.

19. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Your boot priority seems to be messed up or bootloader is not being written to the MBR correctly. Something sounds wrong, relating to your board.

If you like, try burning this to a CD. Its a Boot-132 disc used to boot Mac OS X on a PC. It's basically a bootloader on a CD but I've used it before when the MBR on a system was corrupted and the bootloader on the HDD would get me anywhere. Boot from it and at the first countdown, press F8. It will stop and ask for a boot flag. Just hit enter and then it will prompt you for which HDD you'd like to boot off of. Type 80 for HDD 1 or 81 for HDD 2. You'll most likely want HDD 1 (80). Once you type it in, hit enter and it may provide you with a list of partitions. Scroll using the arrow keys and hit enter. The bootloader will then call the chainloader to boot Windows and the boot process should proceed. This of course is a temporary way to get into Windows until we solve the problem.

20. pgimps
    OP

United States
    No my board didnt't come with UEFI I believe it came with older BIOS (using my keyboard) but I am able to boot to xubuntu, but I believe I have found the issue I think because my board doesn't have a SLP it can't correctly install the SLIC patch to emulate windows activation, but I am not sure though because I am currently running it off of a virtual box emulator