Hacking Need help with updating to 4.1 & soft mod

badjz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently on 3.4 and wanting to update to 4.1. My wii is softmodded already. Now i have some questions;

1. Is it worth updating to 4.1 from 3.4? Does 3.4 restrict me from playing any games?

2. If its reccomended i update, where can i locate 4.1 and how do i install it?

3. do i need to format my wii before updating? do i need to soft mod it again after updating?

So basically im wondering if i even should be updating, the most important thing for me is that i can play all games on 3.4, am i restricted at 3.4? Also is brickblocker important to use on isos before playing?

Thanks in advance

lobfredd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes its worth it.
2. Download 4.1 Wad and IOS60 v6174 Wad from NUSD, Install them from Wad manager, Make sure IOS60 is v6174 and not the latest (v6400) (If u install v6400 u will brick,)
3. No u dont.

badjz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks dude.

Also which wad do i install first?

I cuurently have wad manager 1.4 how do i update to 1.5?

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
install ios60 first, then install system menu 4.1 not the other way around!!

and to update wad manager to 1.5... download wad manager 1.5 and copy it to your sd card, overwriting 1.4.

badjz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks man.

I cant for the life of me find firmware 1.4 in the nusa database, how do i locate the file?

edit: is it under system menu?

these are the 2 wads i have created, is this correct?

System Menu-NUS-v450.wad

IOS60-64-v6174.wad

Also is there any other essential wads i need to install? like bootmii??

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I would just follow xzxero's guide and just update to 4.2 how he has it set up. Just installing the system menu wad itself won't really give you anymore compatibility with anything. All it will do is give you the SD card menu and you can't even play wad's from that unless you patch IOS60. xzxero's guide has you install all of the up to date IOS's so any game that needs newer ones should work fine once you're done.

It will also have you go through with installing bootmii along with the latest homebrew channel which will protect you from bricking your Wii.

badjz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so do i just follow xzeros guide even though my wii is already softmodded? do i just format my sd card and follow the guide? do need to format my wii or do anthing to it before going to 4.2?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
badjz said:
so do i just follow xzeros guide even though my wii is already softmodded? do i just format my sd card and follow the guide? do need to format my wii or do anthing to it before going to 4.2?

You should be able to just follow it as is, if you're really paranoid about stuff conflicting with what you had before you can just officially update to 4.2 if you really want to which is a much better way of getting rid of mods than fomatting a Wii. There is pretty much no good reason to EVER format your Wii. You could format your SD card if you want to. Or just back the stuff up somewhere else since you're gonna have to swap stuff around following the guide anyways.

Generally pretty much anything you install, installs over what was there before if there was something related to it anyways so there shouldn't be any problem either way. Starfall might be like the only thing you might want to remove beforehand if you had that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: