Need help with RetroArch Wii, can't control main menu.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by HeavyMetalLoser, May 7, 2017.

1. HeavyMetalLoser
    OP

HeavyMetalLoser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    I just installed RetroArch on my Wii, and it boots up fine, but I can't actually do anything; my Gamecube Controller's Control Stick can move the cursor, but none of the buttons on any of my controllers do anything, and I can't actually select anything. I've tried my GC Controller, Wiimote by itself, and with a Nunchuck and Classic Controller connected, and nothing works. Is there something missing? I'm using Retroarch version 1.5.0 on an original model Wii. If it helps the very first time I loaded up RetroArch it crashed and I got one of those "exception" error messages.

2. OleSchool

OleSchool Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Usually controller issues boil down to a bad retroarch.cfg file under the /retroarch folder.

Whenever I was setting mine up initially I also had issues and menu problems with the controller. Every time the fix was the same, delete that file.

Retroarch will create another one when it boots up if one isn't there. Start just with the wiimote as well and get it working, then add / save controller settings per core or whatever you want.

After I got the core settings that I wanted (video, paths etc), I saved the cfg file again (in case i dorked it up again). Then I started mapping and saving button configs per core for each player (using Wii Classic Controller). Then saved it again so I could restore that cfg file.

Not sure if GC controller is hard or not to get working but start with Wiimote and get it working with that first.

3. HeavyMetalLoser
    OP

HeavyMetalLoser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    Disconnected my GC Controller and re-installed the app, it works now. Interface is kinda unwieldy and I had it crash twice, and once I accidentally changed a setting that completely disabled all controllers. Retroarch on Wii seems to be more trouble than it's worth, I'll stick to the standalone emulators.