Need help with PSP 2000

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Sublime1, Feb 9, 2013.

Feb 9, 2013

Need help with PSP 2000 by Sublime1 at 11:56 PM (1,269 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    Can I use my psp 1000 Pandora battery and magic memory stick to hack my 2000? The serial is AB01. Thanks!

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You don't need to know the serial, you need to know the Data Code. If it's a PSP-1000 like you're saying, you can use a Pandora battery, if it's a 2000 like your thread title states, you need to check the Data Code and be on 8B or under.

As for the hacking, you can softmod your PSP without the use of a Pandora - Pandora's these days are only used for Brick Recovery.

Update to a 6.20/6.60 firmware and follow the Softmod guide or just download the kit from Pro CFW's website (recommended CFW).

3. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    I have a PSP 1000 and PSP 2000 (currently in the mail). I was just curious if I could use the 1000 Pandora Battery and magic memory stick on the 2000. I been researching online and everything lead me to believe that serial # starting with AB01 was hackable and AB02 was not.

4. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    What matters are the Data Codes, the serials are hit and miss. As for the battery, yes, you can use it. I use a standard PSP-1000 Pandora battery on my 2000 without any issues.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    All PSPs are hackable now.

Even the later 3000s and Go models can play ISOs and homebrew and stuff.

6. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    I do know they are all hackable but are they fully hackable? Is it just a temp firmware or permanent firmware? I want to make sure I get one that will accept a permanent firmware.

7. Rydian

United States
    Temp and perm have the same capabilities. ISOs, homebrew, plugins, etc, all run on both temp and perm, the only difference is whether it boots into hacked mode automatically or not.

That said, 6.60 can perm on the 1000 and earlier 2000.
    6.20 can perm on anything that can have 6.20.

If you go buy a new or recent 3DS, it'll likely come with 6.60.

8. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    I found a PSP 2000 with serial beginning AB01 (currently in the mail), everything online leads me to believe this will allow a permanent firmware, is this true or will I have to go by the Date Code? Thanks!

9. Rydian

United States
    Any 2000 will be able to have 6.20, which can perm.

10. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    So all I have to do is to install 6.20 Pro and I'm good to go? I was reading the guide on here, seems very easy. I don't need a Pandora battery for this?

11. Rydian

United States
    Correct. The newer PSP hacks are much easier than the older ones.

12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Right, a more detailed explaination.

Earlier PSP motherboards are cIPL-compatible and can be permanently hacked using the cIPL method regardless of the OFW revision - these motherboards are mounted in units which have Data Codes up to 8B, 8C has a 50/50 chance of being fully-hackable using that method.

All PSP's can be perma-hacked on firmware 6.20 using the "Power Hack" method, firmwares above can be perma-hacked only using cIPL (provided they're compatible).

13. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    I received my PSP 2000 today, I don't see a date code but the firmware is 3.95. Would this take 6.60 perm?

14. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The Data Code should be under the battery.

[​IMG]

15. Rydian

United States
    Just a note, the 6.20 version of PRO is not outdated. PRO is developed for 6.20 and 6.60 and released at the same time*1 so they have the same homebrew/ISO/plugin/whatever compatibility and bugfixes, the only differences are differences in the base firmware, but Sony made almost no big changes in the 6.xx lifetime. If your PSP can't cIPL, then you miss out on brick recovery*2, but that's about it.

*1- Also 6.35 and 6.39 and such, but there's no major point to those since anything after 6.20 can't use the VSH start exploit (power one?) and if you're going past 6.20 you might as well just go to 6.60, the last official base.
    *2- Modern CFWs are done in such a way that you should never need to go into flash0, which is where the majority of bricks happen. Don't go into flash0.

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The only thing you're missing when on 6.20 is Music Unlimited, which is such a huge bummer that you'll literally never notice it. The only problem some users have is the method the 6.20 Perm Hack uses.

17. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    I checked the spot above the serial and there is no date code. Can I try 6.60 pro perm and see if it takes? I also have a Pandora battery and a memory card with 5.00 M33-6. Not sure which one is better?

18. Rydian

United States
    Yeah you can try the cIPL.

The 5.x firmwares are outdated. The 6.x ones were made because nobody was updating the 5.x ones outside of an ISO patch or two. You can, however, use pandora to flash a clean 5.00 OFW for a clean slate in case stuff messes up (assuming the PSP is pandorable, a quick test will show).

19. Sublime1
    OP

Newcomer Sublime1 Member

United States
    So in theory, could I try to load the PSP in service mode via Pandora just to see if the battery works and turn it off? If it loads in service mode then it should take 6.60 perm (without using Pandora battery). Is this right? Or should I just try loading 5.00 to see if it takes, then move it up to 6.60 pro?

20. Thanatos Telos

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    3DS? Rydian, go home. You're drunk.

On topic:
    I tested my 2000 with 5.03, but it should work for 6.60.

Foxi4 and Rydian like this.