cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I did something dumb, was installing an sx lite modchip today, had too much solder on a pad of the flex cable, stupidly used a solder sucker and it ripped the pad off.
Never making that mistake again... did not realize how powerful it would be.

There are some points on the cable, and I'm hoping I can just solder a short wire between the cable and the switch.
How can I check which is the correct one?

6TyChQT.jpg

Thank you!

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would be tempted to scrape at a trace near the torn pad enough just to get a connection with a multimeter, to find an alternate point. If there is enough material there to scrape off just enough without breaking the trace entirely, at least.

It's tiny, but with a small enough scalpel tip and a magnifier + a steady hand, it might just be doable.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm trying to find good quality pictures of the thing so I can at least try and make out which traces might have been connecting to that pad, but it's like no-one's ever taken the time to take good quality pictures.

Doesn't help that it looks like that entire part of the cable was torn off though, and not just the pad... otherwise there might have still been just enough on the back to make a connection :/

I would be tempted to say bottom left though if this computer render is any accurate at all, but I wouldn't actually try anything with it until you're 100% sure you're doing the right thing.

1647708312298.png

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thank you!! That's a great picture, and yes you are correct, the visible paths leading to the bottom left point looks just like in real life under my microscope - the bottom right one is solitary.
(Didn't leave to buy a multimeter, will not rush out as I think you solved that one for me - thanks)

My next question, what type of wire, size should I use? I don't have any enamel wire but I assume that is what I should be using.
I have some regular 26awg wire but guess that is not small enough and too bulky here.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't really have experience with this honestly. I would just make sure the wire doesnt have too much or too little resistance compared to the flex cable, which is something you'd probably need a multimeter to figure out anyway. And of course the wire needs to be able to handle whatever amount of voltage and/or current may be going through it.

A multimeter wouldn't be a bad purchase, useful for a lot of things now, and in the future.

Reactions: cearp and Kopimist

juanvlc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can always order a new qsb or just use a jumper wire. Awg36 UL10064 multistrand is extremely easy to manage. In any case,Just buy the multimeter also
Good luck

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@juanvlc - thanks, I didn't realize the hwfly boards were sold separately but yes I can see them on aliexperss, thanks for the idea. I will first try to fix it myself though. Nice to save $20 :)
I bought some 38 awg enamel wire, and yes will get a multimeter before I continue!

Reactions: Takokeshi

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can refer to this install video, at around 11:30 the person did a continuity test with multimeter and all 4 pads on QSB are exposed on the modchip, right next to the ribbon connector. Imo just solder jumper wires and remove QSB. Did that on my oled because pads on my QSB are a bit off.

Btw if you don't want to wait and just need some thin wires you can take apart a computer fan, thin enameled wire is used for the winding.

FUHDGWYHJ36AJ8L.jpg

Reactions: cearp and Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)