♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Basically what the title says.
Currently I'm in my third semester of Japanese at university, and for practice (and fun), I wanted to try translating some of the script from a Detective Conan game that I bought a few weeks ago (Meitantei Conan - Giwaku no Gouka Ressha).

After searching a bit online, I downloaded two programs Tile Layer Pro and Wind Hex, but I'm kinda lost in how to use them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what I can do short of teaching you basic ROM hacking.

Games typically display text in one of two ways

1) Graphics. Common mostly in puzzle games and other games with very small amounts of text.
2) A text engine. Long form text like RPGs being where you find this, though you can find this on anything that only has text enough to say "press start" at the title screen.

For graphics you have to figure out where they are stored, also any compression (not so common in GB/GBC but not absent), and copy them. Sadly it will not be in a form you can type into unless you OCR it (nobody really does this) or manually transcribe it (a decent way to make sure you know your kana and learn a few kanji while you are at it).

Text...
basic way I describe it is when you were a kid you likely made a code like a=1 b=2 c=3.... games do something similar. In PCs the most common thing is/was ASCII http://www.asciitable.com/ , though these days Unicode is the dominant concept and it is quite tricky at the higher levels there (basics http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html ). The wind hex editor you got likely has functions called load table and mentions table a lot in the menus. The table is the list of encodings the hacker makes like 00=a and so on, nothing more. Making them can be tricky. Said hex editor is probably not the best plan either as they are not really designed for dumping scripts, though it will hopefully display it and that can get it done if you only want it to read.
For Japanese the traditional big two are shiftJIS ( http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml ) and EUC-jp ( http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.euc.shtml ).
Games however are not required to use them and usually don't, at least on older systems anyway (the DS saw many games use a subset of shiftJIS). As Japanese does not have an order (a very powerful tool for Roman alphabet using languages is relative search), and also thousands of kanji it is often a right pain to figure out for Japanese. There are various things you can try and patterns that have been observed in the past (order it appears in the script, most common character first, it may match the orders seen in the various teaching papers,may match the orders seen in shiftJIS or EUCJP or something like that).

Oh and on top of all of that you still possibly face compression and other fun things as the GB/GBC is limited in power and there are things to work around it like substituting tables. Oh and pointers and markup and such.

You can learn a lot of this over a weekend, however to get to the point where you can walk up to any old game and expect to make some decent headway can take a bit longer.

I cover this in far more detail in http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/ and it is the subject of basically every text or general ROM hacking guide out there. http://www.romhacking.net/start/
If don't know if I have anything in Portuguese right now, most such work tends to be in the Brazilian flavour too.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, I know it's not that easy and I'm not expecting it to be so.
Aside from practising my Japanese, it's also a good way to remember all the stuff I've forgotten from when I studied programming.

As far as I know, from what I've played so far, the game has no Kanji whatsoever, it's purely kana.

I'll check those links you've provided, I actually prefer them to be in English, Portuguese just makes things more complicated.

Reactions: Erikku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.