Need Help Troubleshooting: Booting Gateway Menu Freezes CFW Console

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Mythrandir, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Mythrandir
    OP

Mythrandir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    United States
    Valinor
    [SOLVED]

Issue: Booting Gateway Menu freezes console
    Console: Nintendo New 3DS XL
    sysNAND: 9.0.0-20U
    emuNAND: 9.5.0-23U
    CFW: CakesFW and rxTools

I used this guide (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/) to install CFW and to format an emuNAND partition on my SDXC card. My NANDs are no longer linked and I primarily use rxTools to boot into emuNAND. The below quotes possess more details on the issue I'm experiencing.
    I'd like further troubleshooting advice or to be informed of another means for cheap CFW users to create 3DS ROM backups. I say "cheap" because I'm currently unwilling to invest in any flashcarts. Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your troubleshooting suggestions.

Edit 20151221: corrected "launch.dat" with "laucher.dat"
    Edit 20151222: Issue Solved

Last edited by Mythrandir, Dec 22, 2015
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It is called launcher.dat - if it is named launch.dat on your SD card, that could explain why you can't get into the GW menu.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Sorry double posted

Last edited by Quantumcat, Dec 22, 2015
  4. Mythrandir
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    United States
    Valinor
    I double checked my SDXC card and the contents of the Gateway zip folder. They are both called launcher.dat. My usage of launch.dat within the quoted post is due to erroneous spelling and a lack of sufficient proofreading.

5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Try this boot Homemenuhax, launch mini pasta, use a CIA installer and install a Cubic Ninja CIA to your sysnand (not the NAND itself use SD if you use FBI), then scan the qr code for your region 3DS to enter the gateway launcher.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also i've had the error before with the purple screen it's because of firmlaunch being on disable it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Dec 22, 2015
    Mythrandir likes this.
  6. Mythrandir
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    United States
    Valinor
    Thank you very much! After installing and running miniPasta, I now have access to the Gateway Menu after formatting the emuNAND partition. Do you happen to know why this error occurs when firmlaunch is enabled?

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The only thing that comes to mind is firmlaunch spoofs the firmware to be higher and the Gateway launcher only works up to 9.2 this may cause a conflict.

8. Mythrandir
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    United States
    Valinor
    That certainly makes sense. I wish I'd known that when I first formatted my emuNAND. I reformatted my SDXC card and console twice before creating this thread.