OP
Trophies
Website
sourceforge.net
XP
Country
France
hello,
i've modified a font with FontCreator, i've in fact just replaced some characters by others.
this font is used in a prog to support many languages with the same font (SaveGame Manager GX on Wii).

But a chinese guy report to me than a character is missing
I don't know how to add a charater and i don't know how to create this one to be in the same style of others.

This character is perhaps already in the font but bad mapped?

Here a link to the font:
http://savegame-manager-gx.googlecode.com/...ete_%20font.ttf

Here the traditional chinese missing charater: ?
This sign is often use to say: "file" = "??"

Seem that the unicode is #27284 and hexvalue is %6a94.

Thx for your help.
Dj_Skual.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DO _NOT_ bump a thread so much! It's against the rules. And if you do it again, I'll have to warn you.

Tempers will reply you when and if they'll know the answer.

If no one replies, it's highly probable that nobody knows what you're asking.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well i looked trough your font but there is no way in hell i'd be able to find the character if it was mapped in the wrong place, there are hundreds of chinese characters.

it is however missing from 6A94 along with other missing traditional chinese characters. i don't about font creator but in fontlab you would find the empty glyph and paste in the character missing from another font, modify characters of the same font set or draw it from scratch... i don't know about your typography skills but matching the font with a new character can take a bit of time. if you know what the original chinese font was, you can probably find it and see if it contains the missing characters you need.

if the glyph cell is missing completely, in fontlab you do a search and if it doesn't find it it has an option to create it.

what i would do is find a font that supports all the languages you need in the first place. for example STHeiti supports 50 languages, chinese included.

if you are merging fonts for certain styles you can find a complete chinese font you like (apple ligothic is similar to the chinese font you use) and merge it with your font with FontForge. you can remove the character sets you don't want to replace prior to doing so etc. either way it's a lot of work.

i've merge some arabic fonts we were pairing with helvetica neue before, i simply used fontforge to merge, but then there are scaling issues and weird spacing to deal with. but arabic is not as extensive as chinese.

can't you include different fonts for different languages? so if someone selects chinese it uses a chinese font? wouldn't that be easier and better in the long run?

dj_skual

Code & Mix
OP
Trophies
Website
sourceforge.net
XP
Country
France
raulpica said:
DO _NOT_ bump a thread so much! It's against the rules. And if you do it again, I'll have to warn you.

Tempers will reply you when and if they'll know the answer.

If no one replies, it's highly probable that nobody knows what you're asking.

ok sorry
will not redone this fault
wink.gif

QUOTE(nando @ Oct 5 2010, 07:23 PM) well i looked trough your font but there is no way in hell i'd be able to find the character if it was mapped in the wrong place, there are hundreds of chinese characters.

it is however missing from 6A94 along with other missing traditional chinese characters. i don't about font creator but in fontlab you would find the empty glyph and paste in the character missing from another font, modify characters of the same font set or draw it from scratch... i don't know about your typography skills but matching the font with a new character can take a bit of time. if you know what the original chinese font was, you can probably find it and see if it contains the missing characters you need.

if the glyph cell is missing completely, in fontlab you do a search and if it doesn't find it it has an option to create it.

what i would do is find a font that supports all the languages you need in the first place. for example STHeiti supports 50 languages, chinese included.

if you are merging fonts for certain styles you can find a complete chinese font you like (apple ligothic is similar to the chinese font you use) and merge it with your font with FontForge. you can remove the character sets you don't want to replace prior to doing so etc. either way it's a lot of work.

i've merge some arabic fonts we were pairing with helvetica neue before, i simply used fontforge to merge, but then there are scaling issues and weird spacing to deal with. but arabic is not as extensive as chinese.

can't you include different fonts for different languages? so if someone selects chinese it uses a chinese font? wouldn't that be easier and better in the long run?

thx for your answer
will investigate a little in your way
then i will contact you if i need other infos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1